Thin End Of The Wedge

The game's makers will say "Well we put an 18 certificate on it"

The murderers parents will say "boys will be boys, he was such a nice child normally (when he emerged from his bedroom)"

The retailers will say "We have moral responsibilities to our customers"

Other game players will say "We are being treated like babies, not allowed to play our games".

In six months time when all this is forgotten, we all start again.

So, what are you saying Ripsaw - that we just don't learn from it or that this is all just all a mountain made out of a mole hill?

What is to learn? Will the games stop being made? Will 8 year olds stop playing them? Will fruitcakes who cannot differentialte between reality and fiction suddenly become upright members of the community?

As a parent I can sympathise with the murdured boy's parents even though I can not grasp how they feel. Other than that, and a few (implied) well meaning soundbites and reactionary gestures, nothing will change, nothing at all.

Its just lazy journalism...video games are this generation's video nasties...i mean you can get I Spit on Grave, Cannibal Holocaust and the like from HMV these days!

20 years ago averyone said that these were going to cause widespread depravity in our society.....

So where does this stop...ban Manhunt beacuse its violent; ban Soldier of Fortune beacuse of its graphic depiction of war; ban Top Spin because Tim Henman is xxxx at tennis...its just lunacy.

Wasn't the accused 17? If he can't differentiate between reality and a computer game at that age then there is something wrong.

I don't really think it's a valid claim to be honest, unless of course he has some sort of mental illness that stops him knowing right from wrong.

My sympathies go out to the victims family.

I remember reading a story in a newspaper about how in the 1950's the big thing undermining decency and breeding murderers. They passed some sort of law and everyone forgot about it.

Also in Victorian times there was a big hoo-haa about "Penny Dreadful" novels doing the same thing.

Society needs someone or something to blame - easier to blame Manhunt, Chucky, Marilyn Manson or 40 True Crime Stories for Boys, than to face up to the fact that as a society we can't raise every child to be a well-balanced, non-violent, non-screwed-up, adult.

Society needs someone or something to blame - easier to blame Manhunt, Chucky, Marilyn Manson or 40 True Crime Stories for Boys, than to face up to the fact that as a society we can't raise every child to be a well-balanced, non-violent, non-screwed-up, adult.

What utter rubish. Of course not every child can be raised properly, That doen't mean that such things aren't a contributory factor,

An interesting development, and one that throws a whole new light on the subject...

03 August 2004 by Tim Green

The story of the “Manhunt” murder case took another twist with the revelation that the game was present in the victim’s home, not the killer’s. Narinder Pooni, media services officer for Leicestershire Police, told MCV: “Apparently the game was found but it was in Stefan Pakeerah’s bedroom.”

Pakeerah was murdered by his friend Warren Leblanc in February.

While this fact does not in itself undermine the allegation made by Pakeerah’s mother and the Daily Mail that Leblanc was influenced by Manhunt, it does make the issue more complex. It also raises questions such as whether the 14 year old victim owned the game. And if so, who bought it for him?

As for the link between Manhunt and the crime, the police are clear. Pooni said: “We haven’t connected the game with the murder and we’ve already made that statement, but some sections of the media chose to ignore it…the motive was robbery.”

Shame on you slaves to media manipulation. (Apart from the ones with sense who dimissed the claims).

Archived