Manx Tv From The Bbc

manxmedia

Energy had the story yesterday afternoon, 3FM ran it this morning, and Manx had the interview on Mandate, (but strangely didn't make the breakfast news straight away)

The BBC has finally thought it better give something back to the Island for all that money it takes for doing very little.

But I think there are some questions that need to be answered, and where not asked on Mandate

Jersey, and just Jersey, employs around 35 BBC people. Sure, they have radio as well as TV and the Internet, but we are only going to have only 1 or 2 people here.

Are those 2 people being drafted in from Manx?

The BBC TV service will be available on Broadband and digital satellite. Does that mean FreeView and the SKY platform? I ask this as it was only the other day that BBC & ITV announced their new free satellite service that was going to be launched next year.

Will we need another box and dish to get it?

Manx Radio is going to start taking BBC News; will the same offer be made available to 3FM and Energy? You can bet Juan T will be asking that question!!

Is Manx Radio paying the BBC for its news? If not, what is the deal?

Why is none of this “Press Release” on the BBC website? Or have I missed it. I checked with their press office site.

Jersey, and just Jersey, employs around 35 BBC people. Sure, they have radio as well as TV and the Internet, but we are only going to have only 1 or 2 people here.

Will we need another box and dish to get it?

Manx Radio is going to start taking BBC News; will the same offer be made available to 3FM and Energy? You can bet Juan T will be asking that question!!

Is Manx Radio paying the BBC for its news? If not, what is the deal?

It sounds a good idea but I don't like the idea of Manx Radio news being replaced by BBC news. MR news was always quite good at least better than that from IOM newspapers. I'm sick of their constant - "see this weeks Manx Independent for the full story" crap.

A local TV station eh.

That'll be so great, they can tell us were all the traffic lights are and tell us when it's raining.

Oh and they'll be able to report a broken window on a Friday night and a drunken brawl on a Saturday night.

What else can they tell us?

Ah I know, and I'll get it in before anyone else does. They can report on what goes on inside our great Government and tell us things like, so & so has just been promoted from administrative officer to head administrative officer.

These are exciting times for us.

Bleh Bleh

It sounds a good idea but I don't like the idea of Manx Radio news being replaced by BBC news.  MR news was always quite good at least better than that from IOM newspapers.  I'm sick of their constant - "see this weeks Manx Independent for the full story" crap.

My understanding from that same interview this morning is that Manx Radio is to be allowed to use BBC reports and soundbites as well as the usual IRN stuff.

In terms of who pays for it, I would imagine that there's a contradeal - the BBC guy said that the BBC were sourcing web news from Manx Radio.

A local TV station eh.

That'll be so great, they can tell us were all the traffic lights are and tell us when it's raining.

Oh and they'll be able to report a broken window on a Friday night and a drunken brawl on a Saturday night.

What else can they tell us?

Ah I know, and I'll get it in before anyone else does. They can report on what goes on inside our great Government and tell us things like, so & so has just been promoted from administrative officer to head administrative officer.

These are exciting times for us.

Bleh Bleh

Other regions (especially ITV1 regions) don't just produce local news and weather but are allowed to make their own programs for the region. Many regions don't take advantage of this - Border occasionally produce a crappy program showing pictures of the region but that's about it. A Manx-BBC could produce local investigative programs, chat shows or even yet another crappy soap opera.

I quite like the idea of a Manx soap opera!! Just need to televise Tynwald!

Seriously though, if BBC are to provide MR international news as a quid pro quo for news in the other direction (hardly an equal bargain but, hey, the BBC are big enough boys to protect their own corner) then there should be an expenditure saving for MR; would it be substantial enough to go some way to ameliorating the lack of value we get from the licence fee?

I quite like the idea of a Manx soap opera!!  Just need to televise Tynwald!

Seriously though, if BBC are to provide MR international news as a quid pro quo for news in the other direction (hardly an equal bargain but, hey, the BBC are big enough boys to protect their own corner) then there should be an expenditure saving for MR; would it be substantial enough to go some way to ameliorating the lack of value we get from the licence fee?

Why doesn't the IOM Government refuse to pay the license fee and then use the cash (est. 25,000 x 100GBP) to fund its own Manx TV station. We'd still be able to receive UK broadcasts just like they do in Eire, France and Belguim but we'd lose the local news coverage (oh, what local TV coverage).

Archived