Daphne joins DFE

Fred the shred

Well who would have imagined that, in charge of Motor Sport, a somewhat puzzling placement which has made for some lively comments on Isle of Man Today.    The amazing thing it is the only time I have ever seen every commentator agree.   Just when you think you have seen or read  it all ……..

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Well who would have imagined that, in charge of Motor Sport, a somewhat puzzling placement which has made for some lively comments on Isle of Man Today.    The amazing thing it is the only time I have ever seen every commentator agree.   Just when you think you have seen or read  it all ……..

Thought this was an April Fools joke. 

• Like 1

Apparently the first thing Bobby Ewing said after having a that famous shower scene in Dallas was I can’t believe Daffy is really head of Motorsport iom.

Cannan really has lost the plot or is it a cunning plan to shut her down, full speed ahead electric bikes and sidecars with sails and pedals and pulled up the mountain by the redundant tram horses.

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I think Daphne Caine used to work for the Tourist Board in a previous life.

Indeed.  According to her own website:

I made the switch to public relations after seven years, starting at the Department of Tourism and Leisure in 1996 where I expanded the Island’s media coverage hugely. Highlights were working with the two BBC Top Gear programmes filmed on the Isle of Man, with Sir Norman Wisdom doing Wish You Were Here for ITV and the film premiere for Waking Ned. The film industry added to the buzz as the Island entered the new millennium. Following maternity leave I worked in a PR role at the Department of Home Affairs, then at the Department of Community, Culture and Leisure, and from 2014 to 2016, as customer services team leader for the public transport division of the Department of Infrastructure.

After she was elected in 2016, she was then a Departmental Member of DED/DfE.  So she was there for a lot of time.

It's worth saying that the DfE and its 'agencies' are just another way of keeping the MHKs in check.  Because each of the agencies require a separate Departmental Member[1] (the others are Corlett, Greenhill and Haywood) it means that there are more members of Tynwald who have to support whatever it put there in its name (along with CoMin) no matter how daft, dangerous or expensive.

[1]  You may wonder what this leaves the Minister to do.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1