Daphne joins DFE

Fred the shred

On 2/13/2024 at 5:36 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

Have we seen any changes since this visionary joined the Department?

https://www.gov.im/news/2023/mar/27/visit-isle-of-man-appoints-new-ceo/

https://gef.im/news/business/tourists-flock-to-island-46023/

Top-level bullshit figures.  No mention of travelling football fans who must be making a difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

Top-level bullshit figures.  No mention of travelling football fans who must be making a difference.

She's also predicting 27,000 cruise ship visitors this year too.

We may have another Reynolds on our hands here....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, english zloty said:

For those who want the full bullshit, the DfE press release is here.  The only bit of it that gives any actual information is this:

In 2023, Visit Isle of Man has recorded that the Island welcomed 318,000 visitors who contributed £183.2m revenue in visitor spend, exceeding targets by 18,000 and £21.8m respectively. Last year also saw the Island’s serviced accommodation occupancy figures bypass 2019’s figures by 9% and 5% for self-catering accommodation, demonstrating a robust recovery from the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The trouble is that there is nothing to back this statements up.  We don't have the 2023 Passenger Survey yet (though I am assured that one took place) except for some details of TT visitors which were slightly down on 2019.   Not only don't we have the 2023 figures, we don't even have the 2019 Passenger Survey, the last available is 2018.  So we're really being told that X is bigger than Y, when we don't really know what X or Y is made up of.  Remember that everyone who isn't resident counts as a 'visitor' in DfE World, even if they're only over for Auntie Mable's funeral or to fit new tills in Tesco.

The only detail they do give above claims "occupancy figures bypass[1] 2019’s figures by 9% and 5% for self-catering accommodation".  But an increase in occupancy rate doesn't automatically mean more visitors.  It may mean fewer places are available following the pandemic and an increased demand for rented property.  90% occupancy of 100 properties would still be fewer visitors than 50% of 200.

[1]  I assume they mean surpass.  As with so many IOMG press releases if it wasn't written by ChatGPT, it might have been better if it had been.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add footnote
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Of course; if you have a Department with a burgeoning head-and-salary count and the figures for which that Dept is responsible are actually getting worse - one might not be too keen on putting them into the public domain....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Of course; if you have a Department with a burgeoning head-and-salary count and the figures for which that Dept is responsible are actually getting worse - one might not be too keen on putting them into the public domain....

Or even in finding out what they are at all.  But that's very much in line with government priorities.  To be fair to Visit IOM I was told that the Cabinet Office wanted to stop the survey completely and have stopped doing the analysis (and refuse to issue the 2019 one).  As ever the only acceptable solution is to ask some English people to tell you what to do.

Of course what we do have some idea of is air and sea passenger figures.  We know from the airport's numbers that air travel in 2023 was down 24%  from 854,676 to 649342 a drop of 205,334.  We don't have exact Steam Packet figures yet (indeed nothing since September) but it was announced last month that  "it carried more than 623,000 passengers and more than 196,000 vehicles in 2023".  Oddly enough it's difficult to find the 2019 figure.  It's not mentioned in in the year end report and the ytd and annual figures for December don't match (as they ought to).  But even assuming the lower one of 565,423 (which I suspect is wrong) that only around 58,000 extra journeys and so 29,000 more 'visitors' to counter the 102,000 plus lost by air. 

Of course what we don't know is how those figures split between visitors and residents, that's what the passenger survey tells us among other things.  But visitors only made up 45% of departure in 2018, so that percentage would have to go up a lot.

59 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Q. When does £50k make you £1m?

A. When it's DFE reaching out to 125 million people through a handful of travel writers

I wondered the same. I also wondered where these travel writers were wined and dined? IOMG preferred restaurant or hotel? 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I wondered the same. I also wondered where these travel writers were wined and dined? IOMG preferred restaurant or hotel? 

They were trammed to the Fynoderree distillery to have their thirsts slaked one afternoon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

Q. When does £50k make you £1m?

A. When it's DFE reaching out to 125 million people through a handful of travel writers

We should expect to see a massive increase in spurious BS claims from the various entities of Government. 

Money is tight seems to be their new mantra, so they'll need to BS even harder to get business cases past Treasury and justify their inflated salaries.

27 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There is a certain gin palace which features heavily. Probably a coincidence. 

Probably coincidence the first photo happens to be.. 

https://www.visitisleofman.com/trade/supporting-your-business/manx-menu

Edited by english zloty
Extra link

14 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Money is tight seems to be their new mantra, so they'll need to BS even harder to get business cases past Treasury and justify their inflated salaries.

Getting business cases past Treasury may need more effort. Getting their departmental numbers increases through appears to attract little scrutiny.

• Like 2