Daphne joins DFE

Fred the shred

On 1/30/2024 at 2:42 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

I think Daphne Caine used to work for the Tourist Board in a previous life.

And they have already got their 'vision'.

https://www.gov.im/media/1377909/isle-of-man-visitor-economy-strategy-2022-2032.pdf

No one used to work for tourism.  (apart from one lass I know who got fed up with the lack of them doing anything and left.  No it wasn't Daftne).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Now you know why its called the Gravy Train  , we don't advertise the place any more just bring a bunch of freeloaders in  hoping they will say something positive about the place  in some obscure publication ,

• Like 1

Be interesting to see if there's an improvement over when  Longworth was showing them around the Island!!!

Damn, I'm as bad as the Daphne bashers!!!

Edited by Kopek

I was left puzzled by the waffle Daffers came up with on her appointment. Her gush about the great attractions for tourists was exactly the same offering that we have been trying to push for decades, resulting in our current visitor numbers. Apparently she is another one that believes that the route to growth is to take the same product and advertise it more. I am reminded of British Leyland in the late 70s rebadging the Morris Marina as an “Ital”  with a big marketing push. BL crumbled a short time after. Daffers didn’t seem to have any vision for motorsport but I’m sure her ideas in that regard will be equally as innovative. Ambitious targets meet tired thinking. We can guess the result. 

Edited by joebean
Missed word
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, joebean said:

I was left puzzled by the waffle Daffers came up with on her appointment. Her gush about the great attractions for tourists was exactly the same offering that we have been trying to push for decades, resulting in our current visitor numbers. Apparently she is another one that believes that the route to growth is to take the same product and advertise it more. I am reminded of British Leyland in the late 70s rebadging the Morris Marina as an “Ital”  with a big marketing push. BL crumbled a short time after. Daffers didn’t seem to have any vision for motorsport but I’m sure her ideas in that regard will be equally as innovative. Ambitious targets meet tired thinking. We can guess the result. 

I thought she was involved in the carbon credit scam for last years TT? 

2 hours ago, joebean said:

Just putting together a half term write up for every member of this Tynwald. Any suggestions for parody or look-a-like pictures for the wonderful Daffers? Only one that’s proving challenging. 

22 minutes ago, FANDL said:

Just putting together a half term write up for every member of this Tynwald. Any suggestions for parody or look-a-like pictures for the wonderful Daffers? Only one that’s proving challenging. 

wasn't there a Daphne in scooby doo? Or Daffy Duck?

Edited by b4mbi

3 hours ago, joebean said:

I don't see why you're puzzled.  Caine certainly didn't write all that tired guff in the press release, she'd have been lucky to be allowed to read it before it was sent out.  The role of politicians is to repeat whatever and agree with whatever nonsense they're fed.  Targets are chosen by the civil service because they sound good and then promptly forgotten about.  And there is never any worked-out plan of how to get to them or indeed to examine the current situation to see what is being offered and how to improve and expand it to cope.

And of course any politician who fails to play along with this will be sacked.

• Like 6