Brexit Four Years On

Andy Onchan

I don't think it has as the Isle of Man was never a member of the EU anyway.  Probably the biggest threat to the Isle of Man financial services sector would be if, and big if, the Tories really did want London to become like Singapore. 

If that happened and the UK made moves to lower taxation to a similar level to the Isle of Man then I suspect many businesses may leave the Island.

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I don't think it has as the Isle of Man was never a member of the EU anyway.  Probably the biggest threat to the Isle of Man financial services sector would be if, and big if, the Tories really did want London to become like Singapore. 

If that happened and the UK made moves to lower taxation to a similar level to the Isle of Man then I suspect many businesses may leave the Island.

we were never a member of the EU  but we had access to European markets and labour subject to work permit issued here , since Brexit  we have seen the demise of the UK   and the island is slipping down the ladder fast , this was bound to happen when you loose access to the worlds second largest trading block  we will shortly require a visa to go anywhere in Europe , we are second class citizens    , Boris and Gove conned the British public and we are now paying the price 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, woolley said:

You do realise that PK is going to have to double up on his posting?

That's daft even for a brexiteer!

Late as ever ie you should read a decent newspaper. A couple of months ago Larry Elliot, economics editor of my trusty Guardian, wrote this piece:

I’ve got news for those who say Brexit is a disaster: it isn’t. That’s why rejoining is just a pipe dream

Many still hanker for how things were: but looking across the Channel, it’s completely illogical to do that

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/05/brexit-disaster-rejoining-channel-europe-economy

However I don't agree with the basic premise. John Major et al left Maastricht with the best deal in the best trading bloc on the planet. Full market access and keeping the pound. Now all stupidly pissed away by the brexiteers. To rejoin would mean adopting the Euro and I think that folks would see that as a step too far. So I don't see it ever happening.

The reactions to the piece made for interesting reading:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/08/by-every-measure-brexit-is-harming-britain

This made me smile:

So Brexit is only a partial disaster. That’s all right then...

For balance:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/larry-elliot-the-guardians-in-house-brexit-apologist

Edited by P.K.
Clarity

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I thought back in Big Al's day he wanted to style IOM on Singapore, as the european equivalent of an International Finance Centre?

Britain was a bottom brick out of a very unsteady wall and when it was removed it caused cracks, now there are quite a few countries who are doubting the EU as being the best way forward, sure, initially some countries who were in poor financial shape came out of it well but things are not so rosy now and immigration has caused massive problems on the continent.    We shall see what happens there are some important elections on the way and the tide is turning , very slowly, but turning.

2 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Britain was a bottom brick out of a very unsteady wall and when it was removed it caused cracks, now there are quite a few countries who are doubting the EU as being the best way forward, sure, initially some countries who were in poor financial shape came out of it well but things are not so rosy now and immigration has caused massive problems on the continent.    We shall see what happens there are some important elections on the way and the tide is turning , very slowly, but turning.

Looking at the scenes in Paris and Brussels today, you may well be right.
It would be terrible if the ultra right prospered all over Europe because of the dysfunctional EU. Not quite what it hoped to achieve politically.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Relevant with what happened with Hungary and the EU funding for Ukraine.  I suspect someone pointed out to Orban that he needs the EU a lot more than the EU needs him.  Germany is holding the whole thing together and they're not in the best state economically at the moment. 

• Like 1

The right wing are essentially populists who fool the hard of thinking into blaming easy targets for their woes - like migrants.

We all know the drill eg you can't get a doctor's appointment for two weeks because of all the foreigners coming to the UK for free healthcare etc etc as reported by the Daily Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph etc

Then you add a very simple empty slogan to concentrate what minds these people have left like "Stop The Boats" or some such and away you go.

Winner!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Looking at the scenes in Paris and Brussels today, you may well be right.
It would be terrible if the ultra right prospered all over Europe because of the dysfunctional EU. Not quite what it hoped to achieve politically.

You don't have to be "ultra right" to understand that some things just don't work without the will of the people.

• Like 2

... (long time lurker here), I did not vote for it as I believe eventually the human race should come together but thats many life times away given some of the things you see in the world now.

Having spoken to those around me, including direct family who did vote for it mostly it was down to old out of date values and what they read/saw from all the sources we know.

I voted for staying on the basis of it been a barrier for good business but quite honestly its even worse than that now with the stuff out of westminster.

No where is perfect but just look at a certain MP resident in IOM whos been investigated, my own has his stories.

Where has this led me ? 

I'm currently looking at leaving here and not coming back and been a comeover as I love the place.

It would be intresting to hear the views for Brexit affecting the IOM wider if you have any.

One good thing however - I do believe Ireland will come together in some form (some thing Star Trek predicted and the BBC edited out at the time lol) followed by Scotland and Wales eventually.

Thanks

Terran

Edited by ccsnet