Niarbyl a Sculpture by Bryan Kneale planned

Fred the shred

Who knows what goes through an artist's mind when they create such things.

However, for me there's a world of difference between what is proposed to be erected and Kneale's 3 legs masterpiece at the airport.

If it were left to me I'd have more of the same 3 legs dotted around the Island on promontories/headlands such a Niarbyl, or may be a replica outside or inside the new Sea Terminal. It's not just the 3D artistic element of the 3 legs but there's also an engineering element to it as well. 

I don't necessarily dislike the Eelips but I'm afraid it doesn't really 'do' anything for me. Each to their own, eh?

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Thanks 3

This is the full image. Note that it is not a circular cut-out void, but it is an elliptical hole. At the base of the access hole is a small round object.

There is nothing in the artist's description to indicate the purpose of this object. I do not recommend that you allow your imagination to stray.

Bryan_Kneale_artists_impression.jpg.e56ee5fc1a56a30447efa0ad54a6ad18.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I didn't.

FWIW went to St. Ives two days ago - art galleries & studios everywhere. Well worth a visit if you're into that stuff.

I went to St. Ives once, on my way to St. Ives I saw a man with 7 wives. Each wife had 7 sacks. Each sack had 7 cats. Each cat had 7 kittens. Kitten, cats, sacks, wives.

How many were going to St. Ives?

My personal opinion is that it should be landscape which at least would look more in keeping! Although I don't like it and I think it is a waste of money which could be spent on better things for the Island. It also is not in keeping with a beautiful natural vista!

Publication1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

The 3 legs is good, works. This proposal is just a blot.

And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, “It’s pretty, but is it Art?”

- Rudyard Kipling

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

If it were left to me I'd have more of the same 3 legs dotted around the Island on promontories/headlands such a Niarbyl, or may be a replica outside or inside the new Sea Terminal. It's not just the 3D artistic element of the 3 legs but there's also an engineering element to it as well. 

I'm fairly indifferent to the Eye of Sauron. I could get more onboard with something like 3 legs dotted about though; different variations of sculptures with 3 legs/limbs, would be a bit more in keeping.  Surely there would be quite a lot of variation or interpretation?  Slightly less cheesey and more sculptural than the painted cows/dolphins/wallabies and make a permanent trail. 

Could Ashy bash something together with papermache?

• Like 1