Niarbyl a Sculpture by Bryan Kneale planned

Fred the shred

On 2/1/2024 at 2:20 PM, Two-lane said:

This is the full image. Note that it is not a circular cut-out void, but it is an elliptical hole. At the base of the access hole is a small round object.

There is nothing in the artist's description to indicate the purpose of this object. I do not recommend that you allow your imagination to stray.

Bryan_Kneale_artists_impression.jpg.e56ee5fc1a56a30447efa0ad54a6ad18.jpg

This artwork reminds me of when l emptying my late parents house. The house was full of photographs of years gone by.  In the photos and paintings, they were frame by that very exact shape; its very familiar shape used throughout the last century up to today.  Not sure about the spherical addition?  it will be your own thoughts.  I think it's quite interesting very simplistic.  It may awaken people's memories,  but of course that will depend on your view. 

There are a good number of people who think this is sculpture is awful and a lot more that think it is in the wrong place.    I think it looks as if it has been abandoned, totally out of place .     There is a good deal of opposition to it being placed in the proposed area hopefully there will be a change of heart and somewhere more suitable will be found, Milntown grounds would be a good alternative they already have some sculptures there and it would make for a photo frame where pictures could be taken without ruining any view.

• Like 6

I don't know if anyone made it out to the planning consultation in Dalby today, but there's more about the project in this Manx Radio piece and interview with Kneale's daughter and grandson:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/eelips-plans-to-be-manx-artists-one-last-piece-of-sculpture/

It does add a few extra bits on info, notably about exact location "on the lawn behind the Niarbyl Cafe", so it's not really going to be spoiling any long-range views.  Judging by the maquette It's also a bit smaller than I thought, maybe about 2 - 2.5 metres high.

Eelips is still a dreadful name though.  Florrie Forde's Fanny is much better.

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Eelips is still a dreadful name though

It is not to my taste.

It makes me believe that my initial thoughts were correct.

Maybe someone can explain how one can interact with a lump of concrete.

• Like 4

Unfortunately after small glass of beer, things are not getting better.

One is expected to interact with a solid object named ee-lips

So one tries to force oneself through the cut-out void (I hesitate to call it a hole), but the encompassing lips resist one's effort and prevent one's entry through the portal to where one can travel through time and space and be reborn as a space cadet.

No, absolutely not. Has someone got a link to McEnroe's "You can't be serious"?

There will come a time when a small child at the Niarbyl restaurant says "Hey dad, what does that small round black object represent?". And mum has a coughing fit.

OK. Another small glass of beer. I see the future. Someone does try to make through the portal and gets stuck. The fire brigade turns up with an angle grinder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

It is not to my taste.

It makes me believe that my initial thoughts were correct.

Maybe someone can explain how one can interact with a lump of concrete.

It's been done before...

Monolith.jpg.45e861045d66a8504f9cf88ded5af614.jpg