what qualification did Mr Yang have to be living here

Omobono

story in this weeks paper regarding a chinese citizen beating up his wife ,  when arrested  could not speak or write english  , work permit ? right to live here ?   and how much will it cost us to deport him back to China    all the legals and who is paying , any immigration experts know the answers  on the face of it he wouldn't qualify to get into the UK 

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

story in this weeks paper regarding a chinese citizen beating up his wife ,  when arrested  could not speak or write english  , work permit ? right to live here ?   and how much will it cost us to deport him back to China    all the legals and who is paying , any immigration experts know the answers  on the face of it he wouldn't qualify to get into the UK 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/man-who-slapped-wife-several-times-in-isle-of-man-car-park-said-it-was-accidental-663936

9 minutes ago, Omobono said:

won't cost us anything to deport him to China, after his prison sentence if he doesn't have the money to leave the Island he is given a boat ticket and put on the boat so what's that possibly 40 quid?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Omobono said:

A CM Cannan success story, in his quest to both grow the economy and increase the population. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Could not - or would not?

Plenty of foreign nationals claim not to understand the English language when it suits.

In my experience, the words 'passport' and 'I can take you cash and cards to pay' is often enough to get them to remember how to speak it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Could not - or would not?

Plenty of foreign nationals claim not to understand the English language when it suits.

People who have some English will still ask for an interpreter in legal situations for example as they may feel they are not fluent enough.  But in this case it's reported that he also was unable to communicate while being held at the Prison, which suggests what English he had was very basic at best.

It would be interesting to know what sort of visa he was here under and whether it was issued in the UK or in the Isle of Man.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Nice to see racism is still alive and well on MF.

Where, please go ahead and show where racism is right here in this thread.

As a reminder here is the Oxford Dictionary definition.

"the unfair treatment of people who belong to a different race; violent behaviour towards them"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Well the only time I've ever seen anybody question someone's "qualifications" to live here following a court case is this one.

Seemingly motivated by this gentleman being Chinese and not speaking English.

Either a coincidence or racism.

Sounds like a perfectly valid question considering the Island operates a Work Permit system for non-Manx residents to work on the Island. 

I recall the difficulties I had of having a girlfriend move to the Island with me and she struggled like hell to ever get work, she moved back across in the end and me too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manxweegie said:

Where, please go ahead and show where racism is right here in this thread.

As a reminder here is the Oxford Dictionary definition.

"the unfair treatment of people who belong to a different race; violent behaviour towards them"

I don't believe racism requires violence. This gentleman has been treated unfairly by the OP. Hundreds of people not from here are convicted through the courts each year without them questioning their qualifications to be here.

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It would be interesting to know what sort of visa he was here under and whether it was issued in the UK or in the Isle of Man.

Only he'll be able to tell you that Rog  but this looks a possibility https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/immigration/work/workers/intra-company-migrant-visa/

• Like 1