How Long Can You Survive On 100 Quid?

kelpie

So here I am in lovely canada watching a fundraiser for N'Orleans and across the bottom of the screen flashes the legend '$100 buys a family of four meals for two days' Now forgive me but this seems a trifle luxurious. Forget the fact that it's dollars, since one dollar is worth to me what one pound is to you, and work out how many days you could feed your family on 100 quid if you had to. I reckon i could get a week out of a ton. Just one more piece of evidence that the Americans are the biggest wasters on the planet.....?

So here I am in lovely canada watching a fundraiser for N'Orleans and across the bottom of the screen flashes the legend '$100 buys a family of four meals for two days' Now forgive me but this seems a trifle luxurious. Forget the fact that it's dollars, since one dollar is worth to me what one pound is to you, and work out how many days you could feed your family on 100 quid if you had to. I reckon i could get a week out of a ton. Just one more piece of evidence that the Americans are the biggest wasters on the planet.....?

What I don't understand is why money should be sent to the US when the US is squandering billions slaughtering a generation of Iragis.

If the US government can allocate > $60 billion why should others join in - what difference will it make?

Anyway 4 x 2 x 3 = 24 meals for $100 which isn't too bad.

More than a week really. You can live quite comfortably on potatoes, rice, noodles and pasta with rice, beans, soups.

I mean, they have tins of baked beans for 10p and packets of 10 fishfingers for 18p in supermarkets. It might not be the most balanced way to eat as there's little fresh fruit but it will get you through a reasonable period of time.

When I was in my flat on my own at the tail end of the 90s, I used to go shopping once every two months and I'd spend about £150 total. Sure, I'd have to buy bread, milk and fruit during that time, but apart from that, it was just what I bought in.

What I don't understand is why money should be sent to the US when the US is squandering billions slaughtering a generation of Iragis.

If the US government can allocate > $60 billion why should others join in - what difference will it make?

Anyway 4 x 2 x 3 = 24 meals for $100 which isn't too bad.

I agree with both of these comments.

100GBP (or in this case 100$) should last a family of four for about 10 days. You must remember though that these are Americans who consume an estimated 33% more than other Westerners. Maybe they need to heat the food as they are no longer in their own homes but considering there are upto 80,000 homeless after Katrina bulk-buying all the necessary food should reduce costs a lot.

I'm also not happy to aid America while they are still spending in Iraq. They really are wasting millions every day on a futile war in Iraq based on false evidence and misleading aims. If they only reduced the amount they spend on killing Iraqis they would be able to feed and house all those affected by Katrina.

Archived