ICE 2024

Amadeus

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

It took us ages to get a business bank account opened which seems strange in light of the news stories about cloned businesses with bank accounts and over drafts etc.

Yeah I read an article about that yesterday.  Famous chef restaurants getting cloned?

The UK Companies Registry is a complete farce.  Weekly there are 100s of shifty companies being set up with stolen or just plain made-up identities.  There are zero checks or validations.  Yet according to the UK we are the centre of money laundering and terrorist financing!  Some poor guys are finding out they have 10s of companies fraudulently registered with them as controllers.

The 'Dark Money Files' and Graham Barrow on Linkedin have some really interesting reports on it. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

You go for it mate. I’d love to help but a bit busy bringing more business to the island, sorry. Having said that, tonight it’s time for some fun, although what London calls a Superclub would barely be a local hangout in Manila. Still, free party best party. 

IMG_0108.jpeg

No party quite like a load of 50 year bores in suits, gawping at a couple of scantily clad lady boys....

19 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Yup. Also called egaming or igaming. The IOM is still a good jurisdiction for it. 

Even the name the industry gives itself is deceitful.

And sorry, but no gambling is good. It plays on human weakness and ruins lives - except for those that are playing on peoples lives

Why don't they just call it something like "nice, warm, friendly, pastime that brings fun for all the family computery stuff" and be done with it.

Gaming, egaming, igaming my arse. It's gambling.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Even the name the industry gives itself is deceitful.

And sorry, but no gambling is good. It plays on human weakness and ruins lives - except for those that are playing on peoples lives

Why don't they just call it something like "nice, warm, friendly, pastime that brings fun for all the family computery stuff" and be done with it.

Gaming, egaming, igaming my arse. It's gambling.

I disagree.  Addictive gambling is clearly bad, just as alcoholism is clearly bad.  

I don't consider myself a gambler, but I place the odd bet on football matches, have dabbled in online poker, and have enjoyed a few days out at the races (which if it weren't for gambling simply wouldn't happen). It's only when it becomes destructive, with people gambling instead of eating, and running up debts etc. The gambling/gaming industry should do more to combat that side of it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah I read an article about that yesterday.  Famous chef restaurants getting cloned?

The UK Companies Registry is a complete farce.  Weekly there are 100s of shifty companies being set up with stolen or just plain made-up identities.  There are zero checks or validations.  Yet according to the UK we are the centre of money laundering and terrorist financing!  Some poor guys are finding out they have 10s of companies fraudulently registered with them as controllers.

The 'Dark Money Files' and Graham Barrow on Linkedin have some really interesting reports on it. 

What about the Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Act 2023? 

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

What about the Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Act 2023? 

Toothless it would seem.

Much like the Register of (Overseas) Entities for UK Properties. When they brought it out in a response to the Russian Oligarch assets, they were quoting £1000s of fines per day. No one has been fined and nothing appears to be happening about reviewing the sanctioned individuals. Plenty of Russians who appear to have zero links to Putin and have been actively critical of him, still have all their UK assets frozen and it appears to just be another attack on the offshore industry. Well, maybe the Crown Dependencies anyway - most of the Oligarchs who had a clue moved the bulk of their assets to places like Dubai or Switzerland, where they appear to be untouchable. 

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Toothless it would seem.

Much like the Register of (Overseas) Entities for UK Properties. When they brought it out in a response to the Russian Oligarch assets, they were quoting £1000s of fines per day. No one has been fined and nothing appears to be happening about reviewing the sanctioned individuals. Plenty of Russians who appear to have zero links to Putin and have been actively critical of him, still have all their UK assets frozen and it appears to just be another attack on the offshore industry. Well, maybe the Crown Dependencies anyway - most of the Oligarchs who had a clue moved the bulk of their assets to places like Dubai or Switzerland, where they appear to be untouchable. 

The regulations have not been made, so it is not clear how it will work in practice.  But Companies House processes are going to change, identity verification is going to be required.  How effective or how it is enforced remains to be seen, but it is a move in the right direction.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 2:51 PM, wrighty said:

I disagree.  Addictive gambling is clearly bad, just as alcoholism is clearly bad.  

I don't consider myself a gambler, but I place the odd bet on football matches, have dabbled in online poker, and have enjoyed a few days out at the races (which if it weren't for gambling simply wouldn't happen). It's only when it becomes destructive, with people gambling instead of eating, and running up debts etc. The gambling/gaming industry should do more to combat that side of it.

With respect, you are a gambler.

Back to the point, why don't they just call it e-gambling, or i-gambling. 

The 'gaming' industry could do a lot more to combat 'that side of it' by being honest and call itself for what it is.

22 hours ago, Barlow said:

With respect, you are a gambler.

Back to the point, why don't they just call it e-gambling, or i-gambling. 

The 'gaming' industry could do a lot more to combat 'that side of it' by being honest and call itself for what it is.

And there is only one winner and it is not the punter!