Villa Collonnade

nipper

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It always used to smell of wee

Ted the Tramp gave a lot to this island...specifically that smell of wee in the Villa arcade!

But there are/were public toilets in the arcade. Granted they smelt even worse and were quite dodgy.

Has anyone taken over the role of Ted the Tramp or does everyone on the island now have a home of sorts?

is the medical centre new or to replace an existing facility ?

will it be GP's only or will it offer 24 hr / weekend assistance for minor injuries ?

It is to replace the premises on Loch Prom which already provides GP services to the majority of the tourists who come to Douglas. The premises are truely awful and what impression of the island it must give to those visitors can only be guessed at.

The Villa/Gaiety complex is trying to attract large conferences. Many of the competing venues in the UK have on-site medical facilities - and the inclusion of such facilities in the complex is potentially a boost for the venue's ability to attract tourism in the form of large gatherings.

Why not build another level on Chester St car park and also incorporate a medical centre?

This way you could have plenty of car parking/space and retain the Villa Collonade as well!

A simple solution... It will never catch on in Government!

Last Ten

is the medical centre new or to replace an existing facility ?

will it be GP's only or will it offer 24 hr / weekend assistance for minor injuries ?

It is to replace the premises on Loch Prom which already provides GP services to the majority of the tourists who come to Douglas. The premises are truely awful and what impression of the island it must give to those visitors can only be guessed at.

The Villa/Gaiety complex is trying to attract large conferences. Many of the competing venues in the UK have on-site medical facilities - and the inclusion of such facilities in the complex is potentially a boost for the venue's ability to attract tourism in the form of large gatherings.

This bit I did not know. It actually sounds quite sensible! Now I'm torn... can't the medical centre go further back in the Collonade?

This bit I did not know.  It actually sounds quite sensible!  Now I'm torn... can't the medical centre go further back in the Collonade?

One of the problems with both Chester street and further back in the Collonade is that natural light is actually rather important - detecting jaundice, and anaemia for example are difficult clinically in many artificial lights. It's easy in hospital where you can get the tests done instantly but not in the community

Central Apartments. Rochester Apartments? (the ones on Greensill's Corner).

Either could have included a purpose-made doctor's surgery on the ground floor if someone had made it a condition of building the other flats.

Okay, so I have the benefit of hindsight. But the people who run the health service must have known that a new surgery would be needed and either of those sites could have been utilised instead of lighting the pyre on the mortal remains of the tourist trade!

Central Apartments.  Rochester Apartments? (the ones on Greensill's Corner).

Either could have included a purpose-made doctor's surgery on the ground floor if someone had made it a condition of building the other flats.

Okay, so I have the benefit of hindsight.  But the people who run the health service must have known that a new surgery would be needed and either of those sites could have been utilised instead of lighting the pyre on the mortal remains of the tourist trade!

However, as you say, with the benefit of hindsight perhaps thinks could have been done differently, but pragmatically we are where we are - and given those options are not available anymore, perhaps the proposal is the best of a bad lot? As you say the area is the "mortal remains of the tourist trade," but perhaps this proposal helps the conference trade to replace it. In addition, do the patients of that practice not deserve to be treated in high quality premises?

does it depend on the thousands of registered patients of the practice or the 'odd bod' from the very occasional conference, surely that would at worst only need a 999 call and a trip to a hugely expensive state of the art hospital.

I think a medical centre should be in the 'Town Square' (where's that you say, that pointless waste of space that used to be the Villiers Yard car park), not on the town's showpiece promenade, but there we again hit conflict, who runs the town, the government or the council, since the government seems to want to take over everything the council has (like buying bus stations for 25p, Villa for peanuts - have they paid up yet ?), I think the council is redundant and should disband and let the government get on with it as they seem to want to, they seem to think nobody else is capable of doing anything right :(

does it depend on the thousands of registered patients of the practice or the 'odd bod' from the very occasional conference, surely that would at worst only need a 999 call and a trip to a hugely expensive state of the art hospital.

I think a medical centre should be in the 'Town Square'

The Town Square is an excellent idea. However, it isn't available

I think a medical centre should be in the 'Town Square'

The Town Square is an excellent idea. However, it isn't available

that didn't stop the government when they wanted the Villa :lol:

Archived