Villa Collonnade

nipper

To be fair, the Island seems determined to provide a rolls royce health service given the finite resources it has at its disposal. One cant help but be impressed by some of the GP premises on the the Island and, importantly, there does seem to be a continuing policy of improvement and renewal.

Two points there :

1. There are specific problems about finding a suitable location in lower Douglas - that is say, on a public transport route (as the premises you mention are not) - for example. The late Geof Newbery, single handedly brought about the reurbishment of some of the worst GP surgeries but since his death nothing has progressed. The search for premises has been going on for a decade and the Villa Marina was one of the most suitable locations. Most of the the locations are turned down by planners - due to lack of parking - not that the surgery has any now!

2. The island may well be determined to have a Rolls-Royce service, but it is using those that designed the Reliant Robin to engineer it. Health policy (where it exists at all) on the island is a shambles really. All the money goes into the hospital. For example, orthopaedic waiting lists are long. UK experiience suggests that there are many very cost effective ways to deal with this - less than 30% of people referred need an operation - so why should they see a surgeon? - Get others to deal with the 70% and leave the surgeons free to deal with the 30%. It takes minimum investment - works well - for example see Aintree Hosp in Liverpool - and reudces waiting lists. The island has appointed another surgeon instead, who will probably only actually have 2 or at most 3 theatre sessiions per week - so won't make much difference to waiting lists.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two points there :

1. There are specific problems about finding a suitable location in lower Douglas - that is say, on a public transport route (as the premises you mention are not) - for example.

None of the premises are actually on a public transport route ..but they are very close indeed to the existing premises and, therefore close to several bus routes.

It would seem a strange criteria ,anyhow, that a premises must be on a public transport route to be considered as a medical centre given that not all surgeries are on a bus route and ...

1) you have stated most patients walk to the existing surgery

2) the question of car parking seems so easily discounted.

What is the official criteria for access ?

Most of the the locations are turned down by planners - due to lack of parking - not that the surgery has any now!

That does seem to be a sensible planning decision, to me, provided alternative premises with parking could be found or constructed. Anyone with mobility problems, for example, would find it quite a challenge walking from the nearest car park to the Villa Site ?

2. The island may well be determined to have a Rolls-Royce service, but it is using those that designed the Reliant Robin to engineer it. Health policy (where it exists at all) on the island is a shambles really. All the money goes into the hospital.

Ah ..those troublesome budgets ! Sad fact of life Im afraid that resources are finite and no one ever seems content with their allocation. For what its worth, and bearing in mind the small population of the Island, the Health Service facilities seem to be little short of incredible. I do not believe you will find any better facilities anywhere else with a comparable population base.

I really do hope a site can be found for the practice to move to which meets all your criteria. Good luck with the relocation.

As you will see from earlier in the thread I am neither a partner in the practice nor an employee of the practice - but I do have experience at senior level in NHS management elsewhere.

Hey man. That just like, says it all.

So....there's goin to be no Practice at the Villa Colonade. Good.

Get over it.

But we'll all support, and I reckin mhks too, to get a suitable spot elsewheres.

That wingin' tone kinda bugs

, the Health Service facilities seem to be little short of incredible. I do not believe you will find any better facilities anywhere else with a comparable population base.

Well, I would agree that about the incredible but - but not in the way you mean! I'm afraid the majority of districts in the UK provide considerably better facilities - and the UK government has vastily increased the expediture on the NHS - which hasn't been matched here. In fairness, it doesn't need to be either, but some constructive management would help

I am sure that Night Shift will be very pleased to have been quoted.

It is akin, in the olden days, to having been cloned.

Someone mentioned "Tat " shops. Ok what's a Tat shop?

You look at any UK resort and they have Tat shops. You now look at the Isle of Man and there's only a few Tat shops left. But this is the type of shop that the people who come to the Isle of Man like.

The people who come here are the exact people who cram the front door off these shops. penshioners, people who have family here and they visit, people for the USA, Canada, Aus and the like. They love it. It's on off the few remaining things in the Tourist Industry. Cretney needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Along these lines. I found it amazing how Shimmin would think the Easy-Jet would increase the Tourist side of flights to the Isle of Man, what a bozzo.

UK experiience suggests that there are many very cost effective ways to deal with this...

...And the most successful one so far discovered has been to fiddle the figures so that it can be made to appear that things are improving.

The UK experience? No thanks!

Actually that photo says nothing. Having recently moved onto the Prom, I was AMAZED this summer by how many people there were along the Colenade, in the Villa Gardens and buying ice cream, sweets and tacky Manx gifts. It completely changed my opinion.

Market forces should rule, sure tart the place up, but if the businesses didn't make money, they wouldn't be there!

Archived