Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

You mean greedy

I really don't know what these so called wealthy people do with their money.  Can't take it with them. If they like living here and contribute to the life and soul of the island then great, they're very welcome.  But do we really want people who are simply here for tax avoidance purposes? 

People will always come here for the tax benefits. Albert Gubay was a total c**t but still somehow created jobs and businesses which helped drive the economy. 

30 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Who amongst us is qualified to say what scope and size of the Govt should be?  MHKs are reluctant to tackle the issue but then, who should?

We want all the services that the Govt provide, we don't want bloat but if Manxcare cut the number of managers and the service were to suffer, would we hold our hands up admit it was 'our' fault???

You run it like a private company instead of a tax payer funded free for all, with allowances for frontline services of course - but the basic principles to run it efficiently aren’t exactly rocket science. Plenty of people around with the required knowledge but they’re usually too busy working and earning more money. That’s why you end up with the manager types you get in IOMG. Many are otherwise unemployable holders of non-jobs. They have also managed to create a self serving ecosystem that makes it hard to get rid of the dead wood. Change is possible but requires Herculean efforts and MHKs actually willing to work together and do the right thing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Plenty of people around with the required knowledge but they’re usually too busy working and earning more money. That’s why you end up with the manager types you get in IOMG. Many are otherwise unemployable holders of non-jobs. They have also managed to create a self serving ecosystem that makes it hard to get rid of the dead wood.

So exactly like Douglas Council then? 

19 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I have just completed some forms for a company in another country that requires driving licence and passport information.

The Isle of Man is not somewhere that these people have heard of, so I just selected "United Kingdom" from the drop-downs.

The IoM should just be included with the UK statistics as far as emissions are concerned.

The IoM does not have a seat at the United Nations, even if some politicians think it should.

The IOM is not a sovereign nation as defined by the UN, hence it is often not in drop down lists and has no seat at the UN.  If we did have a place at that table, who would we send?  The only position that would have a clue or the status in that arena would be the Lt Governor, but that constitutional position is the very reason we are not eligible.  

Of course, we could always create some kind of sinecure position for an ex-MHK or senior CS to be our delegate, but most I can think of would get caught between the teeth of the other delegates, just like an errant pube. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

but most I can think of would get caught between the teeth of the other delegates, just like an errant pube. 

You do have a way with words. You should find a publisher - The Un-Collected Thoughts Of Gladys. It could set a record - of some kind or other.

The point I was trying to make is that the IoM is too small to be considered alongside the emissions figures of large nations.

But there a few MHKs who think they should be catching Concorde to Idlewild, while polishing up their speeches - "I shredded it". Or maybe some Civil Servant - "She has a lovely smile".

[It feels like a Friday night to me....]

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You do have a way with words. You should find a publisher - The Un-Collected Thoughts Of Gladys. It could set a record - of some kind or other.

The point I was trying to make is that the IoM is too small to be considered alongside the emissions figures of large nations.

But there a few MHKs who think they should be catching Concorde to Idlewild, while polishing up their speeches - "I shredded it". Or maybe some Civil Servant - "She has a lovely smile".

[It feels like a Friday night to me....]

Yes, I got the point re emissions.  There is a feeling amongst some that we should be players on the big stage.  But, in reality, we are a very small jurisdiction, we should concentrate on running our own backyard, well and beneficially to all who live here. 

The pretensions to bigger things are foolhardy and pure fantasy.  We are allowed to play in our own sandpit, so long as we don't kick the sand into someone else's pitch. 

On your final point, yes, I had the exact same personalities in mind.  It would be disastrous and worthy of a sitcom writer. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’d be happy to go.

9 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I will do it!!!

Sorry. For either of you two it would have to be a private jet from Ronaldsway to Camp David - with Pussy Galore as the pilot.

Apparently she hasn't aged a day since 1964.

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Sorry. For either of you two it would have to be a private jet from Ronaldsway to Camp David - with Pussy Galore as the pilot.

Apparently she hasn't aged a day since 1964.

Mmm pussy you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind hey pussy.  Hey Pussy.

I disagree, you should go.  You would be amazing 

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The IOM is not a sovereign nation as defined by the UN, hence it is often not in drop down lists and has no seat at the UN.  If we did have a place at that table, who would we send?  The only position that would have a clue or the status in that arena would be the Lt Governor, but that constitutional position is the very reason we are not eligible.  

Of course, we could always create some kind of sinecure position for an ex-MHK or senior CS to be our delegate, but most I can think of would get caught between the teeth of the other delegates, just like an errant pube. 

Have we still got a well-remunerated man in an office in Brussels representing our interests?

33 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

We need a vote 😂

Well I don’t think so. 
You have this big round circular UN table with all their representatives sitting behind their name plates. 
What would look better for the Isle of Man , “ Crazy Dave” or “ The Voice of Reason “ 

I rest my case.

1 hour ago, Interested Reader said:

So exactly like Douglas Council then? 

There are similarities between local and national government for sure. I don’t think we are as bad as the lot up the hill though. 

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Have we still got a well-remunerated man in an office in Brussels representing our interests?

Apparently so - or at least we did last Summer as this piece mentions a delegation from the Caymans who:

met with Rebecca Millar, head of Channel Islands Brussels Office; Tom Le Feuvre, director of Global Markets and International Agreements of the Government of Jersey; Mike Vercnocke, head of Isle of Man Brussels Office

Vernocke was appointed in 2018 when his predecessor came back to work in Cabinet Office as Head of External Relations (as opposed to the Director of External Relations).  He was on around £70K plus lots of extras back then.

• Thanks 1