Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I don’t think so. 
You have this big round circular UN table with all their representatives sitting behind their name plates. 
What would look better for the Isle of Man , “ Crazy Dave” or “ The Voice of Reason “ 

I rest my case.

The thing is, my name on here is a piss take.

I fear you think yours is accurate 😂

The sacking of Julie Edge has taken all focus away from the budget, it has make Alf Cannan look weak and that he has something to hide, which he obviously has. The really culprit is laughing, as he is on a winner either way, Rob puts a no confidence vote, he is next in line to be the C.M. He is also mixed in with the Covid and Wright reports, while hiding in the back ground, keeping quiet. But it is truly the worse budget in memory, it has just take all the good out of the island for the working man and stab us in the back. The House of Cards is a dangerous game Mr Allison.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I have just completed some forms for a company in another country that requires driving licence and passport information.

The Isle of Man is not somewhere that these people have heard of, so I just selected "United Kingdom" from the drop-downs.

The IoM should just be included with the UK statistics as far as emissions are concerned.

The IoM does not have a seat at the United Nations, even if some politicians think it should.

At the risk of being boring, I am re-posting a link that I have posted (for you) a week ago:

https://www.gov.im/news/2023/mar/27/climate-change-paris-agreement-extended-to-isle-of-man/

When it comes to our commitments to the Paris Agreement or COP26 or climate change policies or net zero goals, etc, my impression is that Isle of Man and the CIs Governments had no say on the matter – they were probably told by the UK Government to toe the UK line. The Climate Change Act 2021 was passed by Tynwald, presumably Stu Peters voted against it?

The only way forward is for the IOMG to work with the UK Government and to persuade them to make their/ our “legally binding” commitments less onerous. That is all I have to say on this subject.

• Like 2

If you are not listening now, or haven't heard it already, listen to the 2 hour budget debate that's on MR today lunchtime. It'll be online as a podcast later today.

Or if you haven't got 2 hours to spare, here's the summary:

• 96% of business think the budget is bad
  • 96% of people think the budget is bad
  • 96% of people think the government piss money away

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you are not listening now, or haven't heard it already, listen to the 2 hour budget debate that's on MR today lunchtime. It'll be online as a podcast later today.

Or if you haven't got 2 hours to spare, here's the summary:

• 96% of business think the budget is bad
  • 96% of people think the budget is bad
  • 96% of people think the government piss money away

And the other 4% is CoMin!

7 minutes ago, PhotoMan said:

And the other 4% is CoMin!

Who still don't realise that the other 96% are now increasingly realising that the main purpose of the Budget is to maintain Govt terms and conditions for its masses.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, code99 said:

At the risk of being boring, I am re-posting a link that I have posted (for you) a week ago:

https://www.gov.im/news/2023/mar/27/climate-change-paris-agreement-extended-to-isle-of-man/

When it comes to our commitments to the Paris Agreement or COP26 or climate change policies or net zero goals, etc, my impression is that Isle of Man and the CIs Governments had no say on the matter – they were probably told by the UK Government to toe the UK line. The Climate Change Act 2021 was passed by Tynwald, presumably Stu Peters voted against it?

The only way forward is for the IOMG to work with the UK Government and to persuade them to make their/ our “legally binding” commitments less onerous. That is all I have to say on this subject.

If we miss our target, what happens? do we revisit the way our emissions are historically calculated so we do hit the target?

Edited by b4mbi

2 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

If we miss our target, what happens? do we revisit the way our emissions are historically calculated so we do hit the target?

No idea. Although our targets are said to be "legally binding", I don't think that 'climate enforcement police' will arrest the IOMG if we failed to meet our targets. However, there could be some sort of financial penalties coming our way from the UK Government.