Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

23 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I made it to the front-page headline in the print edition. I did not expect that. I could be the Woodward and Bernstein of Ramsey. Still no mention in the byline, though.

20240304_155151-resized.jpg.de9942118a4125fb02740fef9873d389.jpg

Sorry I thought you knew.  The real surprise was they put the story up on the website so quickly, they normally hold lead stories back to shift more of the print.  It's a good rabble-rousing story and a good indicator of the arrogant attitudes of our rulers, but IOM Newspapers have always been really bad at crediting stories they pick up.  I suppose a lot of people don't want it known that they are the source.

8 minutes ago, Twitch said:

If that's who I think it is there is no way their combined income is £50k per year!

Maybe when Bitcoin bombed! 

• Haha 1

The NPM has an article today regarding GNP figures, which has come in for criticism from John Webster, fmr IOMG Economist. It looks like maybe in some cases, the island is either asleep or blase about statistics. 

• Like 3

I see the COC has distanced itself from the petition and also from the reporting that had linked them with it.   They are probably worried they won’t get the usual handout from the Government next year that helps to fund their useless existence .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I see the COC has distanced itself from the petition and also from the reporting that had linked them with it.   They are probably worried they won’t get the usual handout from the Government next year that helps to fund their useless existence .

What handout is that, then?

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The NPM has an article today regarding GNP figures, which has come in for criticism from John Webster, fmr IOMG Economist. It looks like maybe in some cases, the island is either asleep or blase about statistics. 

If you men Manx radio, the article is here, John Webster hasn’t been IOMG economist for at least 30 years and is mainly concerned with his own personal wealth and company interests.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/economic-data-should-concern-treasury-says-economist/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you men Manx radio, the article is here, John Webster hasn’t been IOMG economist for at least 30 years and is mainly concerned with his own personal wealth and company interests.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/economic-data-should-concern-treasury-says-economist/

Not sure what his business interests have to do with GNP but if you add the direct government or associated involvement in the GNP numbers you'll find that at 17% they are second behind Insurance not egaming. It reads like a communist government planned economy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Not sure what his business interests have to do with GNP but if you add the direct government or associated involvement in the GNP numbers you'll find that at 17% they are second behind Insurance not egaming. It reads like a communist government planned economy. 

I guess you could look at the amount of people who do work for Government , and the reluctance (understandably) for turkeys to vote for Christmas , that is very akin to communism !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I don't doubt it, but he's right nonetheless. To continue growing the public sector bloat against this backdrop is just lunacy. Unless, as I've said several times, they know something we don't about the future funding of the Island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The Government give a donation to COC.   I really do not know why.

Really? A member for many years and never knew that. Perhaps for the business input so that government has the inside track when formulating policy? Although you'd never guess, would you?