Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

Anything involving a fee to Government will be subject to stealth taxing in the next financial year !

and not all small boat owners will be the wealthy that are ( rightly or wrongly) always in someones cross hairs !

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Wealthy boat owners have to pay increased fees to cover increased costs and what’s the point? Do you want your taxes used to subsidize them?

It's a reasonably fair assumption to say that Yachties are wealthy and most are at least 'well-off'.  But plenty aren't, you only need to look at some of the wrecks in many of the harbours.  Depends what kind of boat you've got really.  Some of the cabin cruisers or speed boats are only worth a few hundred quid.  Cheap ok yachts can be a few thousand and looking at one of the harbours on the Island, I'd guess average cost of a vessel would probably be £10-£20k.  There are a handful (mainly in Peel) that will be in the £100ks.  But this isn't Monaco.  Rather than size, the sensible way would probably to have it based on a valuation of the boat.  But does a £100k boat that is the same size as a £2k boat use any more services? 

Either way you're looking at least £1000 annually for mooring in Douglas or Peel; which you'd think would clear out the wrecks, but evidently a lot of people are just outstanding on charges.  I don't really know what the enforcement situation is like.

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/harbours/fees/

I think this will also apply to slipway fees too for launching speedboats, jetskis etc.  This however is fairly reasonable and was £11 per metre last year. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-needs-to-raise-more-money-without-penalising-working-people/

Alex, if by any chance you happen to read this.... have you tried reducing government expenditure? For example, do we really, really need so many policy directors in the Cabinet Office along with all of the attendant expenses that go with the non-job? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-needs-to-raise-more-money-without-penalising-working-people/

Alex, if by any chance you happen to read this.... have you tried reducing government expenditure? For example, do we really, really need so many policy directors in the Cabinet Office along with all of the attendant expenses that go with the non-job? 

Or precisely how long do they think they can continue taxing their way out of a £100M per year deficit (reserves use) plus £40M pensions gap if it's not covered by that reserves use?

This equation does not solve, it is as simple as that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Is there a graph or spreadsheet of the state of the reserves over the past several years (or preferably since the beginning of time)?

I have often wondered when we started dipping so heavily into the reserves.  Alf has certainly gone full Tonto since he  became CM and latterly when he was  Treasury Minister.  

8 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

It's all about stealth taxes across government. J Turner has a fair point.  Understand all the Courts, Registry and Probate fees are going up by 5.7% w/e 1 April 2024. 

I

I think I saw they've even put parking fees up too, so it would appear to be absolutely anything that collects money for Govt has gone up by 5%. 

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It's a reasonably fair assumption to say that Yachties are wealthy and most are at least 'well-off'.  But plenty aren't, you only need to look at some of the wrecks in many of the harbours.  Depends what kind of boat you've got really.  Some of the cabin cruisers or speed boats are only worth a few hundred quid.  Cheap ok yachts can be a few thousand and looking at one of the harbours on the Island, I'd guess average cost of a vessel would probably be £10-£20k.  There are a handful (mainly in Peel) that will be in the £100ks.  But this isn't Monaco.  Rather than size, the sensible way would probably to have it based on a valuation of the boat.  But does a £100k boat that is the same size as a £2k boat use any more services? 

Either way you're looking at least £1000 annually for mooring in Douglas or Peel; which you'd think would clear out the wrecks, but evidently a lot of people are just outstanding on charges.  I don't really know what the enforcement situation is like.

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/harbours/fees/

I think this will also apply to slipway fees too for launching speedboats, jetskis etc.  This however is fairly reasonable and was £11 per metre last year. 

quite a lot of boats in Douglas marina are abandoned , there does not seem to be a system in place to remove them particularly  when they become derelict ,unseaworthy ,  and probably don't pay their dues anymore  I hope the responsible boat owners are not having to fork out for this lot   or the perceived  lack of enforcement  or laziness from the DOI harbours division , some of these derelict boats are an embarrassment  and makes the marina look very run down  

• Like 2

Just now, Omobono said:

quite a lot of boats in Douglas marina are abandoned , there does not seem to be a system in place to remove them particularly  when they become derelict ,unseaworthy ,  and probably don't pay their dues anymore  I hope the responsible boat owners are not having to fork out for this lot   or the perceived  lack of enforcement  or laziness from the DOI harbours division , some of these derelict boats are an embarrassment  and makes the marina look very run down  

But if they removed the derelict boats the harbours would look deserted. 😁

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That cannot be true. Allinson was strongly in favour of the proposal to build a 400-berth marina in Ramsey - and Allinson knows about business and money).

[I was going to have a day off mentioning Allinson's capabilities, but I changed my mind]

• Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Omobono said:

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

There are definitely some abandoned. Although bear in mind that many will appear so, but aren't. These things do tend to look a bit of a mess when left over winter in the sea. Certainly there seems to be little action for enforcement though. Some will Certainly be worth less than the annual mooring fee. 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

That cannot be true. Allinson was strongly in favour of the proposal to build a 400-berth marina in Ramsey - and Allinson knows about business and money).

[I was going to have a day off mentioning Allinson's capabilities, but I changed my mind]

‘Pollyanna’ flunked his Budget but pretended he passed with flying colours.  

Or, perhaps:

“ day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples.”

George Orwell, Animal Farm

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I think I saw they've even put parking fees up too, so it would appear to be absolutely anything that collects money for Govt has gone up by 5%. 

Except their own parking of course...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

20 quid a week rent for somewhere/something that you're actually living in ( whether you're supposed to be or not ) is the cheapest rent you will find anywhere on island.

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

20 quid a week rent for somewhere/something that you're actually living in ( whether you're supposed to be or not ) is the cheapest rent you will find anywhere on island.

True.  But that is effectively just Ground Rent/Management fees/rates.  Still need to buy the boat.  I know a couple of people that have done '#boatlife' over here for a bit, but both temporarily; I'd imagine it would be pretty grim during the winter.  I'm sure Harbour Board would also ban it if it became common place.