Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

8 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

So do I understand this right? We now have to pay extra taxes just for the frontline NHS because all the paper pushers and bloat merchants are already spending all the other taxes on non essential services and pay rises?

Screenshot_20240219-120948_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

So do I understand this right? We now have to pay extra taxes just for the frontline NHS because all the paper pushers and bloat merchants are already spending all the other taxes on non essential services and pay rises?

Well, sort of. It'll go on staffing agencies because noone wants to live here. So nowt for frontline NHS either.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

An example is the Manx Care Liason Service... they jaunt around the island holding coffee mornings. 

If the system worked like it should then there would be no need for these non-jobs 

• Like 4

So what accounting mechanism will be used to ensure that the extra 2% tax will be ring-fenced for DHSC?

For example, if I sent a Freedom of Information requesting details of the movements of cash in & out of the ring-fenced account will they provide that info? Somehow I doubt there'll be that sort of detail. It'll all get swallowed up in the general account. I just don't trust them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

So what accounting mechanism will be used to ensure that the extra 2% tax will be ring-fenced for DHSC?

For example, if I sent a Freedom of Information requesting details of the movements of cash in & out of the ring-fenced account will they provide that info? Somehow I doubt there'll be that sort of detail. It'll all get swallowed up in the general account. I just don't trust them.

None presumably. Instead of getting the bloated manxcare management structure under control they increase taxes. Tells you two things: MHKs don’t run the show and don’t have a clue what’s actually going on. Unbelievable budget. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They won’t have one other than if they raise an additional X in taxes they can pretend that they’ve added X to the Manx Care budget. We are basically now paying extra just to receive basic frontline services because all our basic taxes are already going to support assholes pushing paper who can’t save a penny on what they spend. 

• Like 3

Corporate tax on banks and large corporations upto 15% this year, plus new NHS levy next year.

Certain banking businesses and large retailers are also going to face a tax increase - from 10% to 15%.

It'll be introduced in respect of the 2024/25 tax year only. 

The 15% rate will only apply to banks and retailers whose profits would otherwise be subject to a top-up tax outside the Island under the OECD’s Pillar 2 Global Minimum Tax initiative.

Meanwhile, a new tax is being introduced meaning companies making money from petroleum extraction in the Isle of Man and its territorial sea will be subject to tax at a rate of 20%.

Edited by Banker

Typical Alf Cannan. Huge tax rise for middle earners who live here and spend here, nothing for the HNWIs who helicopter in once a month to visit their money.

Manx Care does need the money, though. But most of that money is being wasted on the pointless ‘reform’ pushed by Cannan in the last government.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Typical Alf Cannan. Huge tax rise for middle earners who live here and spend here, nothing for the HNWIs who helicopter in once a month to visit their money.

Manx Care does need the money, though. But most of that money is being wasted on the pointless ‘reform’ pushed by Cannan in the last government.

Manxcare needs getting rid of but let’s start with the useless health minister. Good luck getting re-elected. 

• Like 5