Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Manxcare needs getting rid of but let’s start with the useless health minister. Good luck getting re-elected. 

Absolutely. It should never have been set up and just adds a pointless layer of bloated management on top of the DHSC.

I’d start with the pound shop Tory Chief Minister to be honest. A lot of the rot starts with him. Ironically the only one I don’t think is a complete fucking moron is Allinson.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

So do I understand this right? We now have to pay extra taxes just for the frontline NHS because all the paper pushers and bloat merchants are already spending all the other taxes on non essential services and pay rises?

Giving it to Manx Care exactly this ! I view the NHS and Manx Care as diametrically opposed !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Meanwhile, a new tax is being introduced meaning companies making money from petroleum extraction in the Isle of Man and its territorial sea will be subject to tax at a rate of 20%.

Where and which companies are these? Will Crogga fall into this bracket if a) they get the go ahead and b) they actually find something?

Although it would cost me personally, I’d have preferred to see an increase in the thresholds and an increase in the 10% band, with a top rate rise to perhaps 25% above a certain figure (and while we’re at it scrap the tax cap). The way it’s been done today hits everyone, and as always it’s the poorest that suffer most. 

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Where and which companies are these? Will Crogga fall into this bracket if a) they get the go ahead and b) they actually find something?

What about a tax on wind turbines where the energy is generated in Manx Waters and then sent direct to UK?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What about a tax on wind turbines where the energy is generated in Manx Waters and then sent direct to UK?

That has probably never crossed the minds of those in power. They will be just happy to see them spinning and the island “doing its bit” for the environment!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Ironically the only one I don’t think is a complete fucking moron is Allinson.

When Allinson was chairman of the MUA, he announced that the £18.5 million expenditure for smart meters would not cost the consumer a penny because the MUA would pay the bill.

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Allinson has made the Isle of Man a hostile environment for anyone earning a salary of less than £37k. 

They would be financially better off in the UK. 

I think the threshold is about 50k. I did the figures recently.

Depending on what happens next month in the UK (which I suspect will see some form of income tax cut to try and recover some votes/ make things difficult for Labour when they get in) then the difference is likely to be more profound.

You used to move to the Island and feel better off. Now I can't see that being the case. I don't think I'd make the move from scratch today. Only my love of the place would entice me back but I wouldn't pay a premium for it

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Although it would cost me personally, I’d have preferred to see an increase in the thresholds and an increase in the 10% band, with a top rate rise to perhaps 25% above a certain figure (and while we’re at it scrap the tax cap). The way it’s been done today hits everyone, and as always it’s the poorest that suffer most. 

Shows how much I pay attention.  I genuinely thought until this morning that the 'upper rate' kicked in at £40/50k.  Evidently confused with the UK. 

Who honestly thinks anyone on over £20k PA should in anyway be deemed an 'upper rate' payer?

• Like 1