Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Who honestly thinks anyone on over £20k PA should in anyway be deemed an 'upper rate' payer?

They don’t. The UK standard rate is 20% and the upper rate is 40%. The UK has an upper upper rate of 45%.

Until the changes today, our upper rate is the same as the UK standard rate.

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think the threshold is about 50k. I did the figures recently.

But income tax has risen today. 

I make it for Income Tax alone someone at 37k would be £80 better off here. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

This is going to be a fun day 

And what about the shortfalls over past years that you and your predecessors have failed to address, Mr Hooper? This 2% (£20 million) rise will barely cover what's needed. Where and on what will this 'ring-fenced' funding be spent on? Won't there be another shortfall at the end of 24/25 year??? What are you going to do then (assuming you're still the Minister at that time!)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just one key statistic to park here and elsewhere

https://manx.news/civil-servants-pay-makes-up-41-of-govs-total-expenditure/

Based on statistics pulled by Energy FM the average civil servant employment cost per head is now £61,000 which is significantly more than the median wage for employed people in the IOM which is £34,996. So we now have a public sector earning around double what everyone else does. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, FANDL said:

Based on statistics pulled by Energy FM the average civil servant employment cost per head is now £61,000 which is significantly more than the median wage for employed people in the IOM which is £34,996. So we now have a public sector earning around double what everyone else does. 

Think you're comparing mean to median here?

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Think you're comparing mean to median here?

And employment cost to salary.  It's this sort of sloppiness by those who like to strike tabloid gestures that lets the government of the hook.  They can claim they are being misrepresented and so ignore any criticism.

• Like 4

With another £98M raid on reserves.

£4.8M more too for Cabinet Office, got to feed the growing monster. Not much more for the Farmers though.

Screenshot_20240220-132727_Samsung Internet.jpg

22 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Twenty million will go nowhere in the Health Service. It's a black hole and £20m is small change. We need to know where the money's really going before hitting people for more taxes. They'll be back for more next year and the year after that...

My point exactly further up the thread. 

4 minutes ago, FANDL said:

Think Juan Turner is doing that in his story but it’s a good illustrator nonetheless. 

Much as I hate to defend Juan Turner. I don't think he is. 

The article is clear £61K is the employment cost per head (ie inclusive of employers NI, employer's pension contribution, training, admin costs in recruiting managing and paying the employee. 

It then in another paragraph says someone on the median wage of £35k is £16 per month worse off. But also gives the figures for minimum wage earners £20,683 and £48k earners plus self-employed earning £50K and £75K. 

In your post you've taken one item and compared it to a different metric when you could just as easily chosen one of the others. 

This is why no-one takes you seriously. You make a mistake and blame the writer of the article you misread. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, FANDL said:

And then factor in that this is the average. Front line workers will get nowhere near this so there will more than a few CS on 6 figure salaries. Then they wonder why they keep going over budget every year?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

With another £98M raid on reserves.

£4.8M more too for Cabinet Office, got to feed the growing monster. Not much more for the Farmers though.

Screenshot_20240220-132727_Samsung Internet.jpg

What does the Cabinet Office actually do? I mean in terms of real, tangible benefit?

lazyofficeworker-1.jpg

Edited by slinkydevil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1