Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This budget should have been voted down...and a major employee cost cutting project started.

It's a budget that rewards incompetence.

Yes sadly almost thirty years of incompetence !

• Like 3

We'll be fine once the 15,000 new residents move over here. The place has become a laughing stock (whilst those at the top laugh all the way to the bank while sticking two fingers up at the general public, who are working harder to keep the cabal with their snouts in the trough).

As I was saying to someone at work a few days ago, when I moved here in 1992, it was Heaven on earth, and you were rewarded for hard work. Nowadays, you would be stupid to try and move here and bring up a family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, majkul said:

We'll be fine once the 15,000 new residents move over here. The place has become a laughing stock (whilst those at the top laugh all the way to the bank while sticking two fingers up at the general public, who are working harder to keep the cabal with their snouts in the trough).

As I was saying to someone at work a few days ago, when I moved here in 1992, it was Heaven on earth, and you were rewarded for hard work. Nowadays, you would be stupid to try and move here and bring up a family.

Unless you're in the £120k/pa bracket.

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I've not read it for sanity reasons, so can anyone tell me, is there anything good in it?

Yes if you’re on benefits particularly child benefit as second child etc increases by 60% plus paternity/maternity pay.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/budget-whats-happening-to-benefits/

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

And they will keep on this trajectory until the reserves are exhausted.

The PS vision extends to "Me" and "Now" and no further, anybody who thinks that there is a long-term strategy is deluded.

A £100M drawdown represents @ 1/6th of reputed available cash reserves. So on those figures, it won't be long, especially if we have more overspending during the year.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

And they will keep on this trajectory until the reserves are exhausted.

The PS vision extends to "Me" and "Now" and no further, anybody who thinks that there is a long-term strategy is deluded.

A £100M drawdown represents @ 1/6th of reputed available cash reserves. So on those figures, it won't be long, especially if we have more overspending during the year.

The further £100 million draw on reserves is the headline figure here. That's the real index of performance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Unless you're in the £120k/pa bracket.

As I said yesterday,  I have quite a few friends with joint incomes of double that level on the rock, and plenty with MUCH higher incomes from the main bread-winner.

What they are saying today on X is that they would rather pay more tax and cut the very low income peoples tax rates to balance society. 

If, as a tax policy, you just up low and middle income tax takes, that will only create a underclass that needs to do "bad things" to make ends meet.

That "Budget" is the quite worst piece of bad social  engineering I have ever seen and I read Russia Today through a VPN

Welcome to the new Toxteth, relocated to the IOM in 2027/8/9.............

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

As I said yesterday,  I have quite a few friends with joint incomes of double that level on the rock, and plenty with MUCH higher incomes from the main bread-winner.

What they are saying today on X is that they would rather pay more tax and cut the very low income peoples tax rates to balance society. 

If, as a tax policy, you just up low and middle income tax takes, that will only create a underclass that needs to do "bad things" to make ends meet.

That "Budget" is the quite worst piece of bad social  engineering I have ever seen and I read Russia Today through a VPN

Welcome to the new Toxteth, relocated to the IOM in 2027/8/9.............

You’re like Cueey spouting nonsense, everyone knows you have no friends over here earning high salaries, if you’ve got any they’re probably on benefits like you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ramon Eelman said:

Hi I'm new to the Island and manxforums. I've added the 24/25 tax year to a tax/NI calculator I made. I thought it might be useful so you can find out what it means for you. It's on a best-effort basis so if you find any calculation to be off please let me know.  https://www.manxremote.dev/tax-calculator

I had a quick look at this and I think it is great!

Edited by Spyk3r