Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

37 minutes ago, finlo said:

They have no intention of paying back any of the money they stole from the Ni fund.

There's nothing to pay it back with, nor will there ever be.

We are pulling @ £1M a year and more out of reserves (and have been for the past few years) and most importantly, do not appear to be able to address why we are having to do it and its causes.

We can only carry on doing this for a very few more years unless a miracle appears to replace the reserves as a supply.

Either our leaders know what that miracle is or they're just obediently draining the trough for themselves and the PS while the going is good because they can't or don't have the cojones to address the elephant.

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Where and which companies are these? Will Crogga fall into this bracket if a) they get the go ahead and b) they actually find something?

Notice in last week's Courier that Crogga Operations Ltd has appointed a liquidator following a meeting on February 14th?

Anybody know what that means or implies?

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I think it’s going to be interesting how the UKs budget will affect the IOM in March, and then another budget after the General Election, which will affect the island. 

Probably some tax cuts this budget to try and get some votes back but it’s far too late unless a. Imiracle happens, then when labour get in taxes will go up substantially to pay for all promises including to the unions and labelled having to replenish reserves etc after tories spent all money etc etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’m actually pleased. 

Extra £1000 on state pension.

Decent increase on DLA and mobility.

Great for poorer families with more than one child with the restoration of child benefit for 2nd and subsequent children.. 

NI is a missed opportunity, but at least there is to be a review. Above  UEL needs to be at least 2%, not 1%.

NHS/Manx Care was underfunded for health spending, for years. I don’t agree with the Michael’s reforms, a quasi trust/market place, which do increase bureaucracy, and managers. But, to get the service properly funded, and eliminate waiting lists, and catch up from the years of underfunding, and the effect of Covid on service delivery, is a worthwhile goal. It will then allow debate how we fund going forward.

Extra funding for education and the special funding for Castle Rushen school is to be welcomed.

Except we all know this won’t fix manxcare. They’ll be back for more next year, with some more excuses why they can’t run it properly despite being highly paid and funded. Today was a dark day for the island.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Predictable comments from the Manx Forums - and notable that many of the most vocal have been posting during working hours. That rather makes me assume that they have no work to do.

Personally I broadly support the changes although I would liked to have seen the thresholds increased for those on the lowest wages. Better off people should pay more.

It is good to see government addressing the reality and taking difficult decisions.

Comparisons with the UK are pointless. UK govts of all flavours borrow money to fund their populist largess. Much of that borrowing funded by money printing which ultimately makes the money worth less and less every year. That should serve as a reminder not to keep your savings in £ (or similar). UK debt is now at almost 100% of GDP.

Edited by genericUserName

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Where and which companies are these? Will Crogga fall into this bracket if a) they get the go ahead and b) they actually find something?

Well banks for a start and I assume retailers like Tesco, m&s, Boots maybe co-op

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, majkul said:

We'll be fine once the 15,000 new residents move over here. The place has become a laughing stock (whilst those at the top laugh all the way to the bank while sticking two fingers up at the general public, who are working harder to keep the cabal with their snouts in the trough).

As I was saying to someone at work a few days ago, when I moved here in 1992, it was Heaven on earth, and you were rewarded for hard work. Nowadays, you would be stupid to try and move here and bring up a family.

I agree. Moved over in 98. Quaintly backwards but just idyllic

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

What taxes? No taxes on the  first  £29k for a couple . I know many retired  couples whose electric / phone / broadband/ rates  / home insurance etc  are well under £400 a month nett ( electric obviously averaged over the year ) They don't have sky  TV  though and are on  UK mobile contracts ( under a tenner a month ) 

Obviously depends on the size of the property  and if you have a car .  That may add a few 100 more to the monthly spend. 

Rates. Road fund.

What broadband are they on? Dial up?

1 hour ago, Major Rushen said:

This administration could not run a bath and they will get shock at the next election. Reactive government departments over budget. Where is the accountability to the public? Bye Alf you had a chance and blew it.

The teller will how many stand again.

But no, they will be returned if they do. The Manx public suck it up like a sponge.

51 minutes ago, Cambon said:

That is actually incorrect. You can only access the lower tax rate if you have been given a tax code. Your tax code can only be used against one job or pension. Any additional jobs or income are taxed at standard rate, now 22%. You are then able to claim any overpayment back in your tax return. 

If you do not have a tax code but have income where manx income tax applies, you are taxed at the standard rate, now 22%. 

Why would anyone not have a tax code?

Standard tax is 10 percent for the first six and a bit k above your tax code, which can take people to not far of 30k or even more in some instances, 

A married man with a mortgage could be earning nearly 40k and not paying 22 percent on any of it.

19 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Except we all know this won’t fix manxcare. They’ll be back for more next year, with some more excuses why they can’t run it properly despite being highly paid and funded. Today was a dark day for the island.

Like anything the government have their grubby little mitts in, over managed. Start getting rid of some of the layers.

Cannan: 'Manx Care must operate within budget this year'

Manx Care can do this simply by reducing the services supplied while maintaining the expenditure on management salaries.

Cannan's statement implies that there is no over-expenditure on management costs.