Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Who still don't realise that the other 96% are now increasingly realising that the main purpose of the Budget is to maintain Govt terms and conditions for its masses.

Alf was even boasting on the radio earlier that Government pay had increased faster than the private sector.

Piss off eh Alf 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you are not listening now, or haven't heard it already, listen to the 2 hour budget debate that's on MR today lunchtime. It'll be online as a podcast later today.

Or if you haven't got 2 hours to spare, here's the summary:

• 96% of business think the budget is bad
  • 96% of people think the budget is bad
  • 96% of people think the government piss money away

Makes you wonder what % would be pissed off about budget if there was even the slightest suspicion that the Govt was spending our money wisely and was providing value for money. 

28 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Alf was even boasting on the radio earlier that Government pay had increased faster than the private sector.

Piss off eh Alf 

To be fair I bet some of that is the teachers, nurses etc who were striking. 

43 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Piss off eh Alf 

Totally ignoring the fact that it's the private sector that's funding that increase...and as Stu P. posted on here, why shouldn't MHKs and Govt workers receive inflation-and-above rises to cope with the cost of living? All you need to know.

It is a two tier society. With that tier consisting purely of entitled fuckwits.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Good idea to have 2 hours discussing the Budget on Manx Radio. 

Pity most people will be at work either from 12 -1pm or 1pm -2pm.

Strikes me that Dr Allinson is very fond of 'looking at' things but unwilling to take any bold action.

If you’re that interested it’s on the website for you to listen at your leisure 😂

So whilst the headline inflation rate is now 4.4% as of January 2024, DA has increased the budget (or cost of government)  by 8.3%.

And that's not including the extra £47m for last years overspend. Wonder waht it'll be this year?

Full steam ahead and damned the icebergs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

That’s the UK. Nothing to do with us. The UK market is its own little universe. You’d be better advised to look at the recent Entain case and how it will affect pre-regulated markets.

The IOM eGaming business model will change drastically in 3, 5, maximum 10 years when even the last Asian country starts to regulate and issue their own licences. I’m talking to the regulators out there and can see what's happening.

What concerns me slightly is that IOMG does not currently have a future strategy for an industry that contributes around a quarter to the Manx economy, nor do they even seem to have a proper understanding of the bigger picture. Maybe it’s different if you’ve been living and breathing this industry for 20+ years. I can see where things are going and what needs to be done, but I’m not sure others can and it’s not my job to tell them. 

And now that the civil servants actually running the place have shown that they’re willing to raise taxes to keep their empire going, while not being able to see what sort of signal this sends (or not caring) I’m very concerned that we are going to enter a steep downward trajectory soon.

It’s harder than you think to sell this place as a business destination. Trust me, I do it every day and have done so for many years. IOMG is not helping with this budget. Not at all. There is little to no commercial awareness or understanding and I’m starting to diversify away from here. I love this place but the people running it clearly do not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:16 AM, 2112 said:

Whilst you raise good points, the areas of CGT and IHT are the very reasons why wealthy people come to reside on the island. 

Ah , so we can live off the crumbs off their ample table. Just how many wealthy people actually do come here.  If I had zillions of quids and had the choice to live anywhere I don’t think the Isle of Man would be top of my list , or even on my list. I think we tend to attract the trailer trash rich😂.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

When is it ever anything but a budget for government?

Haha that was sort of the point, its always a budget for the government, that's exactly what it is. Sometimes though, its a bit more for the government than others.

I thought it was quite clever for such a simple sentence, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I love this place but the people running it clearly do not. 

But when you point this out some halfwit will jump in with, "there's a boat in the morning".

This blinkered fingers in ears attitude towards those who are funding the entire house of cards will be our downfall !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anyone said:

Ah , so we can live off the crumbs off their ample table. Just how many wealthy people actually do come here.  If I had zillions of quids and had the choice to live anywhere I don’t think the Isle of Man would be top of my list , or even on my list. I think we tend to attract the trailer trash rich😂.

Tyson and his foul mouthed father would make great residents, all the family could arrive on the boat (think of the revenue that would create) and set up a campsite on the great meadow and they could all gather round and support the S100 and finish the event with a BBQ at Billown mansion house with CM as lead guest.🤣