Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

3 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

It doesn’t really matter. He is likely to be voted out of office at the next General Election. I can’t see CM Cannan lasting long term - the next big IOMG scandal or screw up will see him gone. Whatever is given to Manx Care, ring fenced as well, will be wasted or squandered, sadly those who need the treatment will be left in pain and discomfort. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

It doesn’t really matter. He is likely to be voted out of office at the next General Election. I can’t see CM Cannan lasting long term - the next big IOMG scandal or screw up will see him gone. Whatever is given to Manx Care, ring fenced as well, will be wasted or squandered, sadly those who need the treatment will be left in pain and discomfort. And or,

Dead

Edited by Dirty Buggane

8 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Another brain-free clown having his strings pulled by his civil servants, this time being told that the plebs are delighted to have their taxes raised to fund bloat and assorted incompetence by said civil service.

His only saving grace is that the electorate have seen little of him  despite paying the waster £70k a year. 

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2

CM Cannan has said that investment will stop in Manx Care if they don’t stick to budget. 

Will CM Cannan have the courage of his convictions and resign if Manx Care either go over budget or go to Tynpotwald with the begging bowl? Will CM Cannan disband Manx Care and sack Mother Theresa? Personally I think that Manx Care will go over budget, there will be endless excuses, and whilst Allinson spouts that the tax rise will be temporary, it will end up being permanent, with more tax rises. 

• Like 1

Is it not possible to make an estimate of the costs of a health service for 80,000 people - naturally, give or take a few million?

If you want to build a new widget manufacturing plant, there will be people somewhere who have been involved in these kind of projects who can give an estimate.

Is there no one who has sufficient experience in the health industry who is able to give an absolute figure that Manx Care should be working to, rather than the relative last-year-plus-a-bit figures?

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Is it not possible to make an estimate of the costs of a health service for 80,000 people - naturally, give or take a few million?

If you want to build a new widget manufacturing plant, there will be people somewhere who have been involved in these kind of projects who can give an estimate.

Is there no one who has sufficient experience in the health industry who is able to give an absolute figure that Manx Care should be working to, rather than the relative last-year-plus-a-bit figures?

The guy who did the review which set up Manxcare at a cost£m proposed a formula based on population, requirement etc but treasury in its wisdom didn’t allocate the funds shown to be needed and of course it was agreed by tynwald . Resulting in a continual apparent overspending as budget was never correct for services needed 

• Thanks 1

It’s hit and miss. One patient can make a significant  difference.

In 2017 I was diagnosed with a rare form of leukaemia. No one else has been diagnosed with the same variety, on island, before or since.

i had 11 weeks as an inpatient in Liverpool with chemo in a cycle of 5 days, 2 days, 2 days, 2 days and 7 months of the same as an outpatient, with flights. One dose of chemo was £900, just for the chemo, plus all the other drugs, the charge by Liverpool hospitals to DHSC, the Flybe airfares, taxis and hotel bills.

I reckon my treatment between September 2017 and July 2018 cost between £250,00 and £300,000

If one, or even a few, persons can make a difference I think that can be handled when the annual budget is reviewed.

They could note that they were on target except that <name redacted> got ill and put the figures off a bit. Or similar.

80,000 is a small number compared to England, but on the other hand the exceptions are so few they can be analysed individually rather than as a group.

I get the impression that the figures are just a matter of bargaining, rather than a business-like analysis. Above, Banker says that someone did produce a formula.