Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

1 hour ago, joebean said:

Hooper is the most arrogant and useless individual in Keys. His condescending attitude towards any criticism or questioning is insufferable. My fervent wish is that he goes back to being a minor accountant as soon as possible and we hear nothing from him again. Ever. 

Agree. 

However, he and CM Cannan are tied to both, Manx Care budgetary requirements, and IOMG as a whole. Who else in reality could take over from Hooperman? Nurse Clare? Dr Death? 

I personally think that Manx Care will still end up overbudget, and the waiting lists there won’t be much progress in reducing the waiting times. 

The NPM this evening reports on the musings of Professor Dr David Ashford MBE MHK, who says he may not support next years budget, if tax disparity between low and high earners isn’t tackled. Maybe he is worried he won’t be relected in 2026? I think he is making mood noises, but will ultimately play the game, and get the rewards. 

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

If you were a family in UK on £35,000, putting savings into a tax free ISA ( max £20,000 per year) and with reliable child care for your children you may not be lured to the Isle of Man.

You may even be renting out a room and getting £7,500 tax free there too.

£35k for a family leaves sod-all for an ISA.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, germann said:

Alf's dream society is a load of HNWIs supported by submissive semi-literate locals, and gullible migrants exploited by a shady recruitment agency. 

Doha of the north. 

Supported by a team of highly paid civil servants. 

• Thanks 1

Just been reading IOMNP Facebook page, apparently tonight’s LibLabVan organised Budget presentation/briefing at the Manx Legion was poorly attended. By all accounts iro 18 people attended, and included many politicos. I think people now are throughly fed up. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Just been reading IOMNP Facebook page, apparently tonight’s LibLabVan organised Budget presentation/briefing at the Manx Legion was poorly attended. By all accounts iro 18 people attended, and included many politicos. I think people now are throughly fed up. 

Pity people don't take more interest.

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

Supported by a team of highly paid civil servants. 

With every move aimed at maintaining the benefits of those cs. Here's the latest convert to the cause declaring his unstinting faith...

Screenshot_20240226-213840_Chrome.jpg

11 hours ago, Amadeus said:

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/benefit-in-kind/

and so they did. They really hate the working public, don’t they? 

I don't think there is any doubt that the company car thing is a significant loophole for the wealthy to avoid tax and that something needed to be done about it. 

Obviously being the IoM Gov they've done it by completely shutting it down and without properly thinking of the negative consequences. Like always.

I'd have a bit more sympathy if people hadn't been fully taking the piss for years.

53 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

With every move aimed at maintaining the benefits of those cs. Here's the latest convert to the cause declaring his unstinting faith...

Screenshot_20240226-213840_Chrome.jpg

I heard him waffle on the radio. So poor, trying to pull the old “but surely you don’t want us to fire nurses and firemen” angle while not mentioning management bloat elsewhere with a single word. Hopeless. 

• Like 7

More and more talk of changing the Chief Minister...but who instead?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/vote-of-no-confidence-would-be-uncharted-territory/

There's talk of Allinson, but what the hell does this guy know about running a business - especially one that's in trouble and needs a major downsizing exercise. He's already in defensive mode protecting the civil and public services.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/allinson-government-cannot-arbitrarily-reduce-headcount/

People really need to be thinking out of the box on the kind of restructure that's needed, such as getting rid of an entire grade level and revamping roles across the board, particularly in the civil service. And more, putting a lot of heritage such as the trams and trains etc. into charitable ownership run by volunteers - in other words this time revisiting the size and scope of government reports properly. Then there's the piss poor scoping, decision-making and project management to deal with on projects.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

People really need to be thinking out of the box on the kind of restructure that's needed, such as getting rid of an entire grade level and revamping roles across the board, particularly in the civil service.

Problem is, you can't do it without months and months of consultation and input and agreement of those to be affected in case they and their unions have a meltdown. Then there's even more time to implement it.

It could take years and should have been started years ago. Plus existing benefits all have to be protected, (as we saw with GUS and PSC), with redundancy terms.

Personally, I don't think there's enough reserves burn time left even if we started tomorrow.

• Like 1