Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

13 hours ago, Amadeus said:

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/benefit-in-kind/

and so they did. They really hate the working public, don’t they? 

Isn’t this similar to Uk , if you get a company car which is mainly personal use you should get taxed on it, you don’t exactly need it for long journeys for work here

11 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Pity people don't take more interest.

I think people are now beyond fed up, both with IOMG and its politicos. Normally after the budget, there is a ‘breakfast’ briefing organised by the CoC, with much dick waving and mutual back slapping. Did this take place as it’s normally well publicised in the media? From what I have seen and heard, the CoC are highly critical of the budget, and no doubt their members will be agitating for a change in Chief Minister. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

More and more talk of changing the Chief Minister...but who instead?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/vote-of-no-confidence-would-be-uncharted-territory/

There's talk of Allinson, but what the hell does this guy know about running a business - especially one that's in trouble and needs a major downsizing exercise. He's already in defensive mode protecting the civil and public services.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/allinson-government-cannot-arbitrarily-reduce-headcount/

People really need to be thinking out of the box on the kind of restructure that's needed, such as getting rid of an entire grade level and revamping roles across the board, particularly in the civil service. And more, putting a lot of heritage such as the trams and trains etc. into charitable ownership run by volunteers - in other words this time revisiting the size and scope of government reports properly. Then there's the piss poor scoping, decision-making and project management to deal with on projects.

Which grade level have you in mind, to remove? If that happens then those who are "indispensable" will automatically be elevated to the very most top level. There'll be more chiefs than indians. And the silo mentality will get worse not better.

I agree with the likes of the heritage rail operations being moved into the charity sector with start up funding/grants to kick it all off with for say the first three years, after that they're on their own.   

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Problem is, you can't do it without months and months of consultation and input and agreement of those to be affected in case they and their unions have a meltdown. Then there's even more time to implement it.

It could take years and should have been started years ago. Plus existing benefits all have to be protected, (as we saw with GUS and PSC), with redundancy terms.

Personally, I don't think there's enough reserves burn time left even if we started tomorrow.

The Irish did it...we need to do the same. Grab the bull by the horns and get on with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Which grade level have you in mind, to remove? If that happens then those who are "indispensable" will automatically be elevated to the very most top level. There'll be more chiefs than indians. And the silo mentality will get worse not better.

I agree with the likes of the heritage rail operations being moved into the charity sector with start up funding/grants to kick it all off with for say the first three years, after that they're on their own.   

What Dr Allinson and most of the rest of them need to be introduced to is the remarkable concept of cutting headcount without cutting services to the public.

It must be possible because at the moment we are clearly increasing headcount whilst still cutting services to the public.

What will have to be drilled into the culture is the concept of working a little harder for the remaining, with T&Cs amended to suit where required. That is the difficult part.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

What Dr Allinson and most of the rest of them need to be introduced to is the remarkable concept of cutting headcount without cutting services to the public.

It must be possible because at the moment we are clearly increasing headcount whilst still cutting services to the public.

What will have to be drilled into the culture is the concept of working a little harder for the remaining, with T&Cs amended to suit where required. That is the difficult part.

Difficult for civil servants maybe. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The Irish did it...we need to do the same. Grab the bull by the horns and get on with it.

Argentina's new president has halved the number of Govt departments within days of getting in.  I'm genuinely curious to see how that plays out. 

46 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Wouldn't that be a costly exercise?

Mind you, I see another ten million has been thrown at climate change mitigation. Priorities, I guess...

(@Andy Onchan See what I mean, access one minute blocked the next).

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, quilp said:

Wouldn't that be a costly exercise?

Yes, potentially. But the government are in charge of setting the rules to a great extent.

The cost of not doing it is pissing away all the reserves, instead of just some of them.

A realistic reduction of 10% salary costs could save >£60m a year. That's achievable IMO, particularly clearing out a lot of management grades and restructuring the grade structures and responsibilities.

Plenty of people could be managed out to screw up the private sector instead. See how long they last though.

ETA: I've project managed such restructuring in the past in the UK, so I don't feel that I am talking out my hat.

• Like 6

IOMG has been sucked into all sorts of international commitments that are way beyond our means to either implement and/or manage without spending vast amounts of money, most of which goes on personnel.

Director of Policy for this, Director of Policy for that..... Minister Allinson...stop this fucking madness and ask yourself the question on behalf of the taxpayer is it really, really necessary in the big scheme of things?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I think people are now beyond fed up, both with IOMG and its politicos. Normally after the budget, there is a ‘breakfast’ briefing organised by the CoC, with much dick waving and mutual back slapping. Did this take place as it’s normally well publicised in the media? From what I have seen and heard, the CoC are highly critical of the budget, and no doubt their members will be agitating for a change in Chief Minister. 

COC are composing an open letter to the CM, with members having until this evening to fill in the survey that it will be based on.

Presumably it will be done this week.

43 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Yes, potentially. But the government are in charge of setting the rules to a great extent.

The cost of not doing it is pissing away all the reserves, instead of just some of them.

A realistic reduction of 10% salary costs could save >£60m a year. That's achievable IMO, particularly clearing out a lot of management grades and restructuring the grade structures and responsibilities.

Plenty of people could be managed out to screw up the private sector instead. See how long they last though.

ETA: I've project managed such restructuring in the past in the UK, so I don't feel that I am talking out my hat.

PS wage bill £600M pa.

Reserves draw £100M pa. (Just the draw, not putting anything back in.)

Simplistically, a 17% cut needed.

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

COC are composing an open letter to the CM, with members having until this evening to fill in the survey that it will be based on.

I would have thought the treasury minister would talk to the Chamber of Commerce before drawing up the budget for the coming year. They would know what attracts people to come and live here.

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

In the past, the CoC would by tradition, support IOMG, almost cheerleading, and in turn they would reap the rewards. I would say that now isn’t the case, and their members are in some respects banging their heads against the wall. 

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I would have thought the treasury minister would talk to the Chamber of Commerce before drawing up the budget for the coming year. They would know what attracts people to come and live here.

CoC opinions are already widely known.