Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

5 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

So MT increased prices 12.5% last May 2023 and now 5.5% in April 2024. So an increase of 18% in one year.

Seems like the government isn't the only one screwing us. 

Prices would double every 4 years at that rate, more than Yemen's inflation rate

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

In other words, Allinson, get back to work in what you're trained to do and leave running an economy to people who know how to create and attract wealth.

seeing him as an MHK i don't think i'd trust his medical abilities either

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

So MT increased prices 12.5% last May 2023 and now 5.5% in April 2024. So an increase of 18% in one year.

Not really if you understand the basic maths. Because you weren’t paying an increase of  18% between May 2023 and soon to be April 2024.

You ( we) were paying an increase of 12.5 % for that period, which is bad enough though.

In fact, using your calculations it’s more than 18% because the new 5.5% increase includes the  12.5 % increase from last May.

So say for the sake of convenience an original £100 in May 2023 bill which was increased by 12.5% for 11 out of the 12 months of the year. That gives you a figure of £114.58(£100 x 12.5% x 11/12)

Say the new increase of 5.5% is valid for a year that means an increase of £6.27 ( £114.58 x  5.5%)

So the total increase is £119.27 ( from May 2023 £13+ £6.27) which is a 19.27 increase , not 18%

Edited by The Voice of Reason

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Seems like the government isn't the only one screwing us. 

Dog forget that they have to keep giving their staff pay rises because the idiot unions keep making government give their staff stupid rises and private firms have to try and keep up.

That puts prices up, which means people need more pay rises.

Edited by CrazyDave

6 hours ago, quilp said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/put-a-jumper-on-minister-tells-civil-servants/

A bit off-topic but more of this, Crookall at his finest, though it probably won't go down well with some cosseted souls. 

I don’t think it’s off-topic at all. Benny from Crossroads is the sort of politician who will tell you he wants to reduce the cost of government while spamming the House of Keys with questions about whose job it is to give notice to civil servants about what time the heating is being turned on, and because his brain is a vegetable not see the inconsistency.

On Tuesday he was also asking why the response to pension forecasts could not be quicker. The answer is that there is a spike in requests as a lot more people are asking for them because of the UK position regarding the payment of back years of NI insurance which needs to be done before 2025. Does he want more civil servants to be employed to deal with this despite wanting a reduced civil service?

• Like 1

The CoC have released their budget survey results according to the NPM, which shows that 98% of their members totally against what IOMG have decided. Amongst their suggestions, they suggest that a scope of government review is carried out. Needless to say Allinson has said he is concerned by the CoC letter to IOMG, with their findings, but Tynwald approved the budget. So in other words, it’s not my fault, it’s Tynwalds fault.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, code99 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chamber-of-commerce-members-vote-no-confidence-in-budget/

Judging by Dr Allinson's response the CoC letter of no confidence, the IOMG are politically tone-deaf.

Blame everyone else. Maybe Allinson will say, I’m not making the decisions, it’s the civil servants in my department, I’m merely the mouthpiece?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The CoC have released their budget survey results according to the NPM, which shows that 98% of their members totally against what IOMG have decided. Amongst their suggestions, they suggest that a scope of government review is carried out. Needless to say Allinson has said he is concerned by the CoC letter to IOMG, with their findings, but Tynwald approved the budget. So in other words, it’s not my fault, it’s Tynwalds fault.

E.g, Chambers members expressed their preference for "a move to a single legal entity", etc, etc.

When Dr Allinson said " The Budget was debated on 20 February and approved by Tynwald with no Member voting against the proposed tax changes or budgetary allocations. I respect the view of Tynwald..." - the problem is that Tynwald can either vote for the Budget or against it.  He has been economical with the truth. It's not a good look, IMHO.

Edited by code99
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's 'them" the politicians, civil and public service management vs the rest of us now.

This situation has been building for some time now though, although recent comments from many politicians, Allinson and Stu Peters included, have served to inflame it.

As for Allinson's response, it's the usual politicians/cs weasel words and half truths. What they don't say is often a greater indicator than what they do say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Dog forget that they have to keep giving their staff pay rises because the idiot unions keep making government give their staff stupid rises and private firms have to try and keep up.

That puts prices up, which means people need more pay rises.

Would you suggest not asking for payrises that track inflation? Perhaps a public sector pay cut?