Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

36 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Unless she is really prepared to make major unpopular decisions, for example, a cull of the civil service, as well as raising taxes, across the board, not just affecting one group, but everyone. 

What we now need is for all this emerging discontent, frustration and anger in the HoK to coalesce around a credible alternative to the Cannan/Allinson axis. 

Not sure what that might look like. Ideas??

7 minutes ago, Nellie said:

What we now need is for all this emerging discontent, frustration and anger in the HoK to coalesce around a credible alternative to the Cannan/Allinson axis. 

Not sure what that might look like. Ideas??

Tumbrils rolling down Prospect Hill to a gallows at the Sea Terminal hopefully...

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just saw this posted elsewhere , excluding medical consultants there are an increasing number of very highly paid civil servants 

image.thumb.png.af7f4d9dabe48f78f5a8597480119314.png

Man in the pub scenario, so can't verify its accuracy... but someone was telling me they know more than one Joiner working for the Govt on over £50k and they spend a significant portion of their working time at Crossfit! 

So it's not just desk jockeys. 

39 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just saw this posted elsewhere , excluding medical consultants there are an increasing number of very highly paid civil servants 

https://www.gov.im/media/1382401/iomg-annual-financial-statements-and-report-year-ended-31-march-2023_compressed.pdf

Who is the person earning over £500,000 per year? And the others slightly less?

Edited: page 95

Edited by Two-lane

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

If everyone keeps getting payrises to match inflation, then the theory goes that inflation will just carry on going.  The whole point of bringing inflation down is that people have to get generally poorer for a period.  Although as noted a lot of the Unions lobbying and threatening Govts (everywhere) are getting rises over and above.  This relates to (I think Allinson's) smug remarks that Public Payrises were better than the Private.  Of course they are you prick, it's because they are all unioning up against you.  Most of us don't have that luxury. 

I think it was actually AC's remarks about the PS payrises about a week ago. But Govt backs down every time in the face of its workforces demands and if it's not directly involving money then it's generosity in other T&Cs. They are terrified of industrial action in the PS and always have been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.gov.im/media/1382401/iomg-annual-financial-statements-and-report-year-ended-31-march-2023_compressed.pdf

Who is the person earning over £500,000 per year? And the others slightly less?

Edited: page 95

Every penny justified, I'm sure. The responsibility for helping oversee the local economy grind many of the locals into the ground financially must be overwhelming.

For obvious context, that's close to, or over, £10,000 a week.

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Every penny justified, I'm sure. The responsibility for helping oversee the local economy grind many of the locals into the ground financially must be overwhelming.

For obvious context, that's close to, or over, £10,000 a week.

Pretty sure it will be the head of the FSA (has been hostorically at least the best paying role)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mayhem said:

Pretty sure it will be the head of the FSA (has been hostorically at least the best paying role)

Probably, and how many here would actually want that responsibility? 

It’s also worth noting that some of those figures include back dated pay increases.  Not really relevant at the 500k level, but I would imagine it bumps a few up a bracket.

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s also worth noting that some of those figures include back dated pay increases.  Not really relevant at the 500k level, but I would imagine it bumps a few up a bracket.

That shouldn't make a difference if you think about it.  Pay increases would have been backdated to 1 April, but would have still been paid in the same financial year.  Individual months would be out but not the yearly total.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That shouldn't make a difference if you think about it.  Pay increases would have been backdated to 1 April, but would have still been paid in the same financial year.  Individual months would be out but not the yearly total.

It clearly states on the document that figures are skewed by some backdated salary being paid to employees from the previous financial year.

The increases in numbers in the two paybands above my red squiggle take some swallowing too. Especially when Alf says numbers are not increasing.

Screenshot_20240229-160737_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Man in the pub scenario, so can't verify its accuracy... but someone was telling me they know more than one Joiner working for the Govt on over £50k and they spend a significant portion of their working time at Crossfit!

“Can’t verify its accuracy” - tbh, sounds a bit unlikely…did they mention anything specific which might have added a bit of veracity?   I assume you accept this as true?

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I think it was actually AC's remarks about the PS payrises about a week ago. But Govt backs down every time in the face of its workforces demands and if it's not directly involving money then it's generosity in other T&Cs. They are terrified of industrial action in the PS and always have been.

That isn’t the only thing they are afraid of. They hate petitions especially ones on contentious issues which gather a fair amount of signatures. Then IOMG cave in.

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

“Can’t verify its accuracy” - tbh, sounds a bit unlikely…did they mention anything specific which might have added a bit of veracity?   I assume you accept this as true?

Well I know someone who worked as a joiner for the schools/board of Education about 10 years ago and they were on almost £40k and during the school holidays they barely had anything to do and just worked on their own projects in the workshops. 

He did add that the guy has multiple managers and places he's supposed to be working, so if he's not in one place with one manager, it's just assumed he's in another place working, when he's actually doing silly pull-ups. 

It wasn't actually a man in a pub though.  It was a high level banker in the gym.  No reason to disbelieve him. 

• Thanks 1