Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

31 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Think you've made a couple of mistakes as noone on 400k+ in 21/22 on original table

Jeezus. So assuming the 50k-75k constitutes mostly 'front line staff' which has gone up by 491 (33%) staff from 1477 --> 1968 at an additional cost of £26,350,000 in one year, have services improved?

Or is the more about replacing burned out staff on sick leave just to keep the doors open?

Just now, CallMeCurious said:

Jeezus. So assuming the 50k-75k constitutes mostly 'front line staff' which has gone up by 491 (33%) staff from 1477 --> 1968 at an additional cost of £26,350,000 in one year, have services improved?

Services are consistently being cut and we're threatened with more.

Looking at those figures; one might wonder if our politicians actually voted for/approved those increases? Or if they are even aware of them?

I suspect for most of them, the answer will be in the negative.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Or is the more about replacing burned out staff on sick leave just to keep the doors open?

Plenty of new entrants into the pension pool which I assume is the reason for increasing the bloat.

27 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

A lot will be teachers.  Especially when you factor in the back pay from previous rewards

4 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

As roger mexico also correctly pointed out.  Figures are skewed by the payouts/settlements to the various people who left shortly after Alf took charge.  Especially at the 150k plus bracket 

It says in notes I posted that it excludes settlement payments, compromise agreements etc

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You've got to stop inflation+ % pay rises for high earners. It's insane. Those salaries need to fall, no one would ever accept an actual cut so you've got to stop putting them up. 

They won't do it though. When they introduced PSC nine years ago, all existing entitlements remained unscathed. This included the big earners who were causing the big drains on the salaries and pensions.

They cannot/will not touch existing terms.

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You've got to stop inflation+ % pay rises for high earners. It's insane. Those salaries need to fall, no one would ever accept an actual cut so you've got to stop putting them up. 

The unions are already saying they want inflation + extra to cover any tax rises!, I’ve said for past few years there should be a flat rate pay rise eg £2000 so worth more to lower earners and progressively less for higher earners, maybe excluding frontline healthcare.

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

It says in notes I posted that it excludes settlement payments, compromise agreements etc

It says different on what I read.

Edit

My bad.  Misread it.  No issue admitting I was wrong.

Sorry all

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

One interesting thing about that table - copied below to make it clearer:

image.png.d6224860a130b30b631fc71d044cf614.png

is the enormous jump for three of the top four earners between 21-22 and 22-23.  I wondered at first if this was related to payouts connected with the post-Ranson purge in May 2022, but the notes say:

The above figures include gross pay amounts as remuneration (including compensation payments made in connection with their employment) but exclude employers’ contributions (for example, employers’ pension contributions), settlement payments, compromise agreements etc.

which would exclude most of that.

Interesting that if you compare against the recently appointed chief exec post at DOI which was advertised circa £130k for heading one of the biggest and most controversial Departments, and there's the best part of 200 government earners taking in more than this...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mercenary said:

Interesting that if you compare against the recently appointed chief exec post at DOI which was advertised circa £130k for heading one of the biggest and most controversial Departments, and there's the best part of 200 government earners taking in more than this...

Nearly all drs, surgeons, dentists and consultants at a guess.

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Nearly all drs, surgeons, dentists and consultants at a guess.

Maybe you can leave out the dentists:

"The overall average dentist's salary in the UK in 2024 is £52,176. This figure is based on data from PayScale's salary survey of dental professionals in the UK.

Dentists can earn even more in cities like London and Birmingham (where average salaries are £80k). The NHS pays its dentists between £35,000 and £70,000. Private dentists can make as much as £130,000 and in some cases even more."