Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

8 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Is there a graph or spreadsheet of the state of the reserves over the past several years (or preferably since the beginning of time)?

You really want 4 billion years' of accounts?

That is the kind of thing I was hoping for - an easily understood graph over the past 20 or so years.

Banker kindly provided a reference to the pink book, but from a brief glance at that I would have to create the graph myself from individual pieces of data.

11 hours ago, Banker said:

Wealthy boat owners have to pay increased fees to cover increased costs and what’s the point? Do you want your taxes used to subsidize them?

Most of them boats are owned by teachers, or retired teachers, they can afford the increase I totally agree.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

I have often wondered when we started dipping so heavily into the reserves.  Alf has certainly gone full Tonto since he  became CM and latterly when he was  Treasury Minister.  

Eddie Teare started the major draws on reserves during his tenure as TM. This was two years (2011) after the VAT reduction.

AC ripped pieces out of him during his Budget announcements because Teare claimed that the Budgets were "balanced" when in fact the reserves draws proved that they were anything but. Then Alf assumed the mantle of TM in 2016 and carried on where Teare left off.

I stand to be corrected on this but the reserves drawdowns have steadily increased in amount each year and I think Allinson's have been the biggest to date. The Island's finances are clearly unbalanced without resort to the reserves but some appear to be in denial as to the cause.

ETA. There is also the question of course as to exactly what constitutes, "the reserves". Free cash, investments, assets. The NI Fund.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Eddie Teare started the major draws on reserves during his tenure as TM. This was two years (2011) after the VAT reduction.

AC ripped pieces out of him during his Budget announcements because Teare claimed that the Budgets were "balanced" when in fact the reserves draws proved that they were anything but. Then Alf assumed the mantle of TM in 2016 and carried on where Teare left off.

I stand to be corrected on this but the reserves drawdowns have steadily increased in amount each year and I think Allinson's have been the biggest to date. The Island's finances are clearly unbalanced without resort to the reserves but some appear to be in denial as to the cause.

ETA. There is also the question of course as to exactly what constitutes, "the reserves". Free cash, investments, assets. The NI Fund.

They took a massive hit during Covid as did most countries, payments to people for staying home (mostly public sector), hospitality etc etc 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

They took a massive hit during Covid as did most countries, payments to people for staying home (mostly public sector), hospitality etc etc

A graph easily identifies a spike - either up or down - but if the trend is downwards there is only one conclusion.

[Maybe I will get around to generating a graph that shows reality - could be another front page headline...]

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

And payments to our own elected who fully availed themselves of the largesse that they had assigned (to themselves). Largesse that only became public after an FOI IIRC.

And still more...pubs and hospitality already struggling but mere collateral when it comes to the Govt expenses...

Screenshot_20240318-222807_Facebook.jpg

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And still more...pubs and hospitality already struggling but mere collateral when it comes to the Govt expenses...

Yea but the more pubs close it means less people employed so loss of Govt Revenue there and of course loss of revenue from sales in the pub, VAT, and the loss of revenue from Breweries supplying the Pubs

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

£8,000 You have got to be shitting me, How much are we losing through Government workers not paying for parking £120,000+. Just the cost of MHK parking must out way this, 

• Like 1