Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

Workers, parents, small business owners, people "This rampant inflation is having severely negative consequences on our lives"

Government [SHRUG] 6%+ rises on everything

Well done everyone! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And still more...pubs and hospitality already struggling but mere collateral when it comes to the Govt expenses...

Screenshot_20240318-222807_Facebook.jpg

More cost savings. Govt are great at this improved efficiencies lark

There are about 200 licensed premises. So it’s an average of £40 increase each. It’s not going to close anything. £0.80 a week.

Licensing used to be annual, then every three years, now there isn’t court renewal any more, just the fee. So, some administrative burden and cost has been removed.

For many the increase will be  less than £40, for some it will be much more. The fee is based on rateable value. So Tesco Lake Road will pay most. Whereas a small off licence will pay little. For pubs, bars, hotels, boarding houses and restaurants, it’ll depend on size and location.

I don’t have access to the exact figures, but I don’t think it would be far from reality to suggest  that over half the total ( increase and licensing generally ) will be paid by fewer than 10 premises. Tesco, Lake Road, Vic Road, Onchan, Ramsey main store, Peel main store, Port Erin, Coop Ramsey, Sefton, Palace Hotel

And, sure, it’s unwelcome, and there are clearly savings to be made, but we’d all kick off if services were cut further, or some sectors of the economy were favoured more than others.

Im not sure that alcohol licensing brings in more than it costs to administer. The staff in courts/police alcohol unit/fire services inspection wages will come to more than total fee income and their wages will have gone up. If 5.7% = £8000 it means total licensing fees of between £140-150,000. High Bailif, clerk and court usher, one day a month, one full time clerk, 2 police officers and civilian full time, plus fire inspections as needed.

• Thanks 2

Genuine question – after the Budget was announced, one of the Chamber of Commerce’s top requests was that the Government change its structure from being multiple legal entities to being a single legal entity. Would the costs of staff redundancies be high or would it be legally too complicated? It seems to me that this change would (in the medium term) save the Government substantial amount of money, and not be detrimental to front-line services. Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, code99 said:

Genuine question – after the Budget was announced, one of the Chamber of Commerce’s top requests was that the Government change its structure from being multiple legal entities to being a single legal entity. Would the costs of staff redundancies be high or would it be legally too complicated? It seems to me that this change would (in the medium term) save the Government substantial amount of money, and not be detrimental to front-line services. Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. Robertshaw was pushing this for years.

This do nothing. botch job of a government probably won't even go near such a move.

They are fast becoming public enemy no1.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Workers, parents, small business owners, people "This rampant inflation is having severely negative consequences on our lives"

Well done everyone! 

Don't forget their own 6% payrise to keep pace with the "rampant inflation".

Severely more negative for some than others. But of course, "Govt workers have families and mortgages". They are ensuring that they are insulating themselves as much as possible from what they are contributing to in respect of impacting others.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, code99 said:

They’ve been trying t do this for years to try and stop silo mentality of departments, Chris Thomas was pushing it as well until binned.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Well done everyone! 

IOMG themselves are responsible for a substantial part of inflation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Exactly what services would be cut, would be interested how it would effect me. I do not have a business so company house would not be any problem if it went. You are going to say they are there incase I do start a business or other departments.               Reminds me of the joke, Guy books into a hotel with his better half for the night.  Sign at reception states double room £82 per night. After breakfast he goes to settle the bill and is a bit alarmed when it is presented as it is £128, he spots the manager and enquires why the bill is £46 more than it states at reception. The manager explains that they have a sauna/gym/swimming pool and solarium, man states I did not use them. Manager says ahh but they were there and you could of, Man stomps off and comes down with cases and partner goes up to the manager and hands him a sheet of paper. Manager looks at the paper and see's its a bill for £110 for sex with the mans partner, manager blusters and says I did not have sex with your partner. Man looks at him and says ahh but they were there.

One has to remember the old civil service mantra. "Work expands to fill the available time".

And when the available time is filled, we'll take a few more on and create work for them in the same fashion.

7 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Exactly what services would be cut, would be interested how it would effect me. I do not have a business so company house would not be any problem if it went. 

No Companies Registry?  In a place whose main revenue stream is ultimately based on a distinct Isle of Man legal entity and financial rules and regulations associated.

Do you want to re-think that?

11 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Exactly what services would be cut, would be interested how it would effect me. I do not have a business so company house would not be any problem if it went. You are going to say they are there incase I do start a business or other departments.               Reminds me of the joke, Guy books into a hotel with his better half for the night.  Sign at reception states double room £82 per night. After breakfast he goes to settle the bill and is a bit alarmed when it is presented as it is £128, he spots the manager and enquires why the bill is £46 more than it states at reception. The manager explains that they have a sauna/gym/swimming pool and solarium, man states I did not use them. Manager says ahh but they were there and you could have, Man stomps off and comes down with cases and partner goes up to the manager and hands him a sheet of paper. Manager looks at the paper and see's its a bill for £110 for sex with the mans partner, manager blusters and says I did not have sex with your partner. Man looks at him and says ahh but they were there.

F you mean what services would be cut if IOMG had to reduce costs substantially then probably Birmingham city are a recent example where, libraries, the arts, parks, roads maintenance, refuse collection plus 600 jobs are being cut.

12 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Exactly what services would be cut, would be interested how it would effect me. I do not have a business so company house would not be any problem if it went. You are going to say they are there incase I do start a business or other departments.               Reminds me of the joke, Guy books into a hotel with his better half for the night.  Sign at reception states double room £82 per night. After breakfast he goes to settle the bill and is a bit alarmed when it is presented as it is £128, he spots the manager and enquires why the bill is £46 more than it states at reception. The manager explains that they have a sauna/gym/swimming pool and solarium, man states I did not use them. Manager says ahh but they were there and you could of, Man stomps off and comes down with cases and partner goes up to the manager and hands him a sheet of paper. Manager looks at the paper and see's its a bill for £110 for sex with the mans partner, manager blusters and says I did not have sex with your partner. Man looks at him and says ahh but they were there.

Making cuts doesn't mean services need be affected, in fact they can be enhanced. What is needed is a full scale assessment of grades and responsibilities - and layers of management and supervision cut out - in partnership with a technical assessment as to what roles can be automated or require specific training.

Often such assessments and actions are costly and disruptive initially, but we are looking at the long term so they will be worth it.

I've worked on such projects and it is amazing how organisations can soon grow out of control in terms of numbers and costs in so very few years. And it's amazing how such assessments focus the mind.

Government here have expanded faster than the universe, with no one questioning why. As the costs are now out of control anyone knows that it's long passed time to ask why and to finally do something about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

F you mean what services would be cut if IOMG had to reduce costs substantially then probably Birmingham city are a recent example where, libraries, the arts, parks, roads maintenance, refuse collection plus 600 jobs are being cut.

Do they still have legions of managers, supervisors etc? 

Or are the job cuts for the actual road workers, hedge trimmers, librarians etc.  

That's what would happen here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Do they still have legions of managers, supervisors etc? 

Or are the job cuts for the actual road workers, hedge trimmers, librarians etc.  

That's what would happen here. 

Think it’s across the board