Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

Refuse collection is a public health matter and should be the last thing to be cut, unless you want to burden the health services further.

I watched Panorama last night which focused on the problems of Havering and its budgeting problems. 78% of their budget is eaten up by social services and the issues of the lack of social housing and accommodating the homeless. Huge sums eaten up by having to house people in hotels because basic rentals now far outstrip incomes.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Refuse collection is a public health matter and should be the last thing to be cut, unless you want to burden the health services further.

I watched Panorama last night which focused on the problems of Havering and its budgeting problems. 78% of their budget is eaten up by social services and the issues of the lack of social housing and accommodating the homeless. Huge sums eaten up by having to house people in hotels because basic rentals now far outstrip incomes.

It’s already been cut in several local authorities including Douglas but public health aren’t involved and no increased demand on health services! Do you actually believe half the things you post ?

2 hours ago, Banker said:

F you mean what services would be cut if IOMG had to reduce costs substantially then probably Birmingham city are a recent example where, libraries, the arts, parks, roads maintenance, refuse collection plus 600 jobs are being cut.

Some of these things are actually being cut here in terms of road maintenance,  refuse etc. - and yet at the same time they are being stealth taxed too (rates and road tax increases etc.)

We are on the same road to nowhere as Birmingham was...and will likely reach that point within a decade if things aren't acted upon.

This government clearly has no intention of cutting its cloth and will pay a hefty price for it at the next election, AND with two more budgets and god knows what hair-brained money grasping schemes to come yet. But the biggest price for this ineptitude will be paid for by businesses and Joe Public.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

It’s already been cut in several local authorities including Douglas but public health aren’t involved and no increased demand on health services! Do you actually believe half the things you post ?

Sorry, I didn't allow for your twisted and puerile interpretation of my post.

Refuse collection if reduced could/will have a BEARING on Public Health. Vermin infestation, disease. This will increase the burden on health services.

In a city the size of Birmingham, cutting refuse collection would have a significant impact, think back to the collection strikes of the early 80s and the build up of refuse in public areas. Even a reduction in street cleaning will have an impact.

But here's a thought. We've taken on an extra 700 civil servants. If we "say" an average salary of £40k that's £28M a year we've now got to find. Plus the extra 50+ HR to wipe their arses and tend to their every snowflake meltdown.

I'm rather have my bins emptied every week, wouldn't you?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Sorry, I didn't allow for your twisted and puerile interpretation of my post.

Refuse collection if reduced could/will have a BEARING on Public Health. Vermin infestation, disease. This will increase the burden on health services.

In a city the size of Birmingham, cutting refuse collection would have a significant impact, think back to the collection strikes of the early 80s and the build up of refuse in public areas. Even a reduction in street cleaning will have an impact.

But here's a thought. We've taken on an extra 700 civil servants. If we "say" an average salary of £40k that's £28M a year we've now got to find. Plus the extra 50+ HR to wipe their arses and tend to their every snowflake meltdown.

I'm rather have my bins emptied every week, wouldn't you?

The LAs are responsible for rubbish collection, not central government where the 700 you refer to reside.  

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The LAs are responsible for rubbish collection, not central government where the 700 you refer to reside.  

The LA's are doing their best to catch them up though!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It's all taxation, Gladys, be it Rates or central taxation.

I'd just rather mine was spent on something tangible and of value and getting refuse disposed of properly comes under that IMHO 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's all taxation, Gladys, be it Rates or central taxation.

I'd just rather mine was spent on something tangible and of value and getting refuse disposed of properly comes under that IMHO 🤷‍♂️

Agree with the sentiment, but you can not accuse, say, Jurby Commissioners of being bloated or DOI for not having your bin collected.  

However, the LA system needs reform desparately. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Banker said:

Another thing for non believer to rant about 😂

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/passport-price-hike-on-the-way/

John Wright has already been good enough to put you straight on this matter.

Clearly you believe that Govt can do no wrong in endlessly penalising the public in its overt self service.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

John Wright has already been good enough to put you straight on this matter.

Clearly you believe that Govt can do no wrong in endlessly penalising the public in its overt self service.

He hasn’t put me straight on any matter, he pointed out it’s a second increase and so ? Your constant whining about anything is painful.

Here’s another one for you as you may already be paying it

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/5-7-increase-in-cost-of-adult-social-care-services/