Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I don't know where all these so called 'leaks' are coming from, such as 2p on income tax. Can't see that myself, the repercussions for business on the island would be massive.

If something like that did happen, with £44m of taxpayer's cash going into the government only pension pot this year, and £60m extra pissed away on a ferry terminal...and numerous other wastes of cash, there would rightly be a major uproar and petitions all round to force several by-elections.

I heard the increases on alcohol is going to be the largest at 20% across the board, Cigarettes increases 18% and income taxes, the 10% band will go and be set at twenty percent. This  is to pay free medical cannabis prescriptions which will be means tested. 

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I heard the increases on alcohol is going to be the largest at 20% across the board, Cigarettes increases 18% and income taxes, the 10% band will go and be set at twenty percent. This  is to pay free medical cannabis prescriptions which will be means tested. 

Increases in alcohol and ciggies are not within the control of the IOM government 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Increases in alcohol and ciggies are not within the control of the IOM government 

Alex Allison is to introduce a new tax, like the sugar tax, There are more ways to skin a cat.

Edited by Holte End

31 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Alex Allison is to introduce a new tax, like the sugar tax, There are more ways to skin a cat.

On beer, that will be another nail in the pub trade's coffin. Self-defeating.

7 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

It's already hard enough to try and raise a family here (or just survive), can they make it any more difficult?

Do you think that they care that much? Their priority is funding themselves and their numbers, Government is a society-within-a-society and is increasingly detached from the realities faced by those who are funding its existence - and has been for some time.

Let's look at it another way. If there are the expected increases in taxes today; does anyone think that they will ever be rescinded when we eventually reach the "assured" sunlit uplands?

No, of course they won't. Any surplus money then will be used to fund further Govt expansion and its own benefits.

It is a one way trip.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Do you think that they care that much? Their priority is funding themselves and their numbers, Government is a society-within-a-society and is increasingly detached from the realities faced by those who are funding its existence - and has been for some time.

Let's look at it another way. If there are the expected increases in taxes today; does anyone think that they will ever be rescinded when we eventually reach the "assured" sunlit uplands?

No, of course they won't. Any surplus money then will be used to fund further Govt expansion and its own benefits.

It is a one way trip.

I don't think they care at all, and that it what truly scares me. Because a few more years of this will destroy the social fabric of the island. 

I know, and think we all know, of people who are just about keeping their head above water in the current economy. Allinson could well make them sink.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It is a one way trip.

Looking after the 5%, that's what it's about. It's what's not in the budget that you should keep your eye on.

20 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Charge for doctor appointments/missed appointments.

Road tax up above inflation figures to encourage active travel ( political speech for just take in more cash and doing fuck all with it). 

Seems fair enough to me