R Stands For Racer!

Billy One Mate

JUST AN IDEA!!!!!

What about making it law that any vehicle driven by a person who is still within a two year period of passing a driving test is fitted with a restrictor to the engine that ensures that the vehicle cannot exceed 50mph.

Ean read the quote above, any person means any age. Inexperience is down to the length of time that you have been behind a wheel.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd put money that every single person on this thread has been in a situation in a car where afterwards they have gone "that was lucky". Everyone makes mistakes, everyone makes a bad decision once in a while to demand that all young drivers be restricted in engine size, vehicle type or type of driving is a tad blinkered do you not think?

Young people are not the only ones who crash, young people are not the only ones who make bad decisions. What needs to be done is that better education is introduced. If you are caught speeding you are forced to attend a night class on safety and the factor of speed in accidents etc, if you are in an accident you are forced to attend similar classes about safe driving. Let's not single out one section of those using our roads why not try to improve the whole standard of driving on the Island.

Perhaps the first class could be teaching all of those over 35 how to use a roundabout correctly and how to indicate :P

I think the whole point of setting off this discussion was in response to the rocketing levels of death on our roads of young people. Usually (I agree not in all cases) these are caused by young, inexperienced and daft drivers.

We do have an issue here on the Island with our young people. I am a more mature (not old) driver who loves cars and driving but I am old enough to be aware of the lethal weapon that I have control of. I also know that I am not indestructable, again this comes with age. I agree that education is an important factor and is something that is being looked at targetting our sixth formers but as we are all aware the good kids know what you are trying to tell them anyway and the ones who think they are rally drivers aren't going to pay any attention to you. It is for these that we need to put factors into place to make sure that there is suitable procedures to stop, punish and control.

I'd put money that every single person on this thread has been in a situation in a car where afterwards they have gone "that was lucky". Everyone makes mistakes, everyone makes a bad decision once in a while to demand that all young drivers be restricted in engine size, vehicle type or type of driving is a tad blinkered do you not think?

Young people are not the only ones who crash, young people are not the only ones who make bad decisions. What needs to be done is that better education is introduced. If you are caught speeding you are forced to attend a night class on safety and the factor of speed in accidents etc, if you are in an accident you are forced to attend similar classes about safe driving. Let's not single out one section of those using our roads why not try to improve the whole standard of driving on the Island.

Perhaps the first class could be teaching all of those over 35 how to use a roundabout correctly and how to indicate :P

I think the whole point of setting off this discussion was in response to the rocketing levels of death on our roads of young people. Usually (I agree not in all cases) these are caused by young, inexperienced and daft drivers.

We do have an issue here on the Island with our young people. I am a more mature (not old) driver who loves cars and driving but I am old enough to be aware of the lethal weapon that I have control of. I also know that I am not indestructable, again this comes with age. I agree that education is an important factor and is something that is being looked at targetting our sixth formers but as we are all aware the good kids know what you are trying to tell them anyway and the ones who think they are rally drivers aren't going to pay any attention to you. It is for these that we need to put factors into place to make sure that there is suitable procedures to stop, punish and control.

Try and teach the 'young rally drivers' and they will just laugh in your face and say they are fast AND SAFE! a perfect example of this is me and my mate (happens to be a rally driver and im his co-driver - both under the age of 20) were coming over the moutain one night not so long ago and a nova come screaming past almost bouncing of the rev limiter - the following night they seen us out and started being mouthy about how we were rally drivers and ment to be fast and how easy it was for them to overtake us - firstly we doing a comftable 55 - 60 mph

secondly they were on retard plates and shouldnt of even been able to catch up with us not alone pass us

i would bet my house (well my mums anyway) that they wrapp their cars up long beofer my mate because he drives to the conditions and isnt pressured into speeding up by anyone where as those tools would race an ambulance if it overtook them!

Try and teach the 'young rally drivers' and they will just laugh in your face and say they are fast AND SAFE! a perfect example of this is me and my mate (happens to be a rally driver and im his co-driver - both under the age of 20) were coming over the moutain one night not so long ago and a nova come screaming past almost bouncing of the rev limiter - the following night they seen us out and started being mouthy about how we were rally drivers and ment to be fast and how easy it was for them to overtake us - firstly we doing a comftable 55 - 60 mph

secondly they were on retard plates and shouldnt of even been able to catch up with us not alone pass us

i would bet my house (well my mums anyway) that they wrapp their cars up long beofer my mate because he drives to the conditions and isnt pressured into speeding up by anyone where as those tools would race an ambulance if it overtook them!

That's what we need to deal with. unfortunately not everyone is as laid back and feel they have to be flying to be cool. You're right, it will be them that hurts themselves (or more likely someone else). We need to make them stop. That's what this is all about!

Keep being smooth. Rally driving is fine, but it has its place and open main roads is not it.

B)

That's what we need to deal with. unfortunately not everyone is as laid back and feel they have to be flying to be cool. You're right, it will be them that hurts themselves (or more likely someone else). We need to make them stop. That's what this is all about!

Keep being smooth. Rally driving is fine, but it has its place and open main roads is not it.

B)

Just a thought, I read recently about a device that can be fitted to your car so that if being driven by your beloved son or daughter, a text is automatically sent to your mobile phone telling you that they are being naughty and flying along at the speed of sound.

Does anyone think this is a good idea and could it be expanded to inform police also?

I had a look to see what the legal driving age is and what restrictions were in different places.

New York is quite interesting: If you live in New York State, you can apply for a junior learner's permit at age 16 and may receive a junior driver's license when you pass a road test. You are considered a junior driver until you turn 17 if you have taken a high school or college driver education course, or 18 if you haven't taken such a course. Junior drivers are subject to certain restrictions including one that says a junior driver cannot drive with more than two passengers under age 21.

If you take and pass a road test within six months of receiving your permit, you will receive a limited-use junior license. You will receive a full junior license six months after you have had both your valid permit and limited-use junior license or if you take your road test more than six months after receiving your permit. The restrictions you will be subject to with either a restricted junior license or a regular junior license vary by region. On Long Island, with your limited junior license, you must drive under the supervision of a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old. This person must be your parent, guardian, person "in loco parentis," driver's education teacher, or driving instructor. When your license converts to a regular junior license, you may drive without this supervision only if you are driving between home and work, a work-study program, or a course at a college or university.

Stav.

This is something that has been touched upon and well worth exploring. There are several states in the US where restrictions are imposed along the curfew idea, such as only driving between work, college and home. Along with no night driving withour a permit (eg for work) and limitation on passenger numbers. Unfortunately IOM and British Govs say this infringes on human rights!!

IMO America is not the place to use as an example of good driving.

I have no issue with the targetting of inexperienced drivers, after all this is the purpose of R plates and perhaps before we go all out and start limiting engine size and adding new laws the police could use the current ones that say R plated drivers doing over 50mph are doing so illegally. Ever thought of reporting that R plate driver that just whizzed past you, perhaps a little ticking off by the police and a warning that they will lose their licence if caught again would help. Perhaps not, but at least try before limiting even more things for the newly passed driver.

There are 30 year olds who think all the angels in heaven are looking upon them and think it is safe to travel at the speed of sound, how about educating them, pulling them over for dangerous driving.

Do you not think that limiting engine size will lead to people after coming out of that limited age thinking that because they have been driving for so long and not had a serious incident they are invincible and with the ability to do stupid speeds will do so?

Age is not a factor, stupidity is. I know just as many 18 year olds that are quite happy to stick to the speed limits, not break the law and not treat the roads as their own personal racetrack....however i know just as many 25 years olds who think quite the opposite.

I have no issue with the targetting of inexperienced drivers, after all this is the purpose of R plates and perhaps before we go all out and start limiting engine size and adding new laws the police could use the current ones that say R plated drivers doing over 50mph are doing so illegally. Ever thought of reporting that R plate driver that just whizzed past you, perhaps a little ticking off by the police and a warning that they will lose their licence if caught again would help. Perhaps not, but at least try before limiting even more things for the newly passed driver.

There are 30 year olds who think all the angels in heaven are looking upon them and think it is safe to travel at the speed of sound, how about educating them, pulling them over for dangerous driving.

Do you not think that limiting engine size will lead to people after coming out of that limited age thinking that because they have been driving for so long and not had a serious incident they are invincible and with the ability to do stupid speeds will do so?

Age is not a factor, stupidity is. I know just as many 18 year olds that are quite happy to stick to the speed limits, not break the law and not treat the roads as their own personal racetrack....however i know just as many 25 years olds who think quite the opposite.

A thoughtful and intelligent post IMO. Ultimately, regardless of age, experience and all other factors, whatever restrictions are placed on any drivers will only be effective if they are properly policed and enforced.

I totaly agree with you about the age's. I know a lot of people over the age of 25 that drive like idiots because they think they can ' do it better' than anyone else.

I however, passed my test at the age of 17 and consider myself to be a very carefull and considerate road user, i am now 21 and i know where my limitations of driving are.

How refreshing to see a thread about driving/speed etc that has got to 5 pages without descending into feeble slanging matches. Good stuff.

The idea about limiting insurance groups seems good, they could also limit the power for R platers by restricting vehicles based on a power to weight ratio as that is the important factor in determining potential speed & acceleration generally. It'd be easy to do.

I don't think speed restrictors are really the answer as anyone wanting to circumvent them inevitably will do.

Don't agree with 'big brother' style tracking devices either.

I did my test when I think I was about 21 or so. I crashed about a year afterwards though basically because I went from an 18 year old 1.1 fiesta to a renault turbo I picked up for next to nothing and crashed it going too quickly & carelessly due to inexperience with a quick car. I was lucky and it taught me a bloody good lesson but reinforces the argument that inexperienced drivers young or not quite as young shouldn't just be let loose in quick cars straight away as 'mistakes' do happen and people are careless until they learn the hard way sometimes.

Good thread.

Quick plug for you petrolheads...new series of Ignition starts tomorrow on Manx Radio at just after noon, repeated at 8.30pm.

First show I drive a Noble M12. Not very slowly either...but very safely, which is a different thing altogether, as this thread seems to recognise.

Archived