R Stands For Racer!

Billy One Mate

can i just say, that this thread was started out as parents wanting to stop their children driving so fast so that they dont injure themselves.

ALL Young people do not drive fast, stupid, or reckless. The more you tell a teenager what they can and con not do - the more they will retaliate!

Educate them - dont limited them, if you do, the more likely they are going to try and go faster! And they will.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from Manx Radio's site today and I'm adding it without comment at the moment because I think it requires a bit of reflection.

"A member of the Isle of Man Constabulary's Road Policing Unit says he believes that speed is the major component in most accidents involving young drivers on Manx Roads.

Since 2000, over 5000 people have been involved in traffic accidents in the Isle of Man and almost half of those involved drivers under the age of 26.

Sergeant Martin Birchenough says it's difficult to be specific about the cause of an accident, but he believes an all Island speed limit would be a good idea"

This is from Manx Radio's site today and I'm adding it without comment at the moment because I think it requires a bit of reflection.

"A member of the Isle of Man Constabulary's Road Policing Unit says he believes that speed is the major component in most accidents involving young drivers on Manx Roads.

Since 2000, over 5000 people have been involved in traffic accidents in the Isle of Man and almost half of those involved drivers under the age of 26.

Sergeant Martin Birchenough says it's difficult to be specific about the cause of an accident, but he believes an all Island speed limit would be a good idea"

So are you saying that most of our car crashes are actually older people?

When quoting stats you also have to look at things such as how often younger people actually take their car out compared to older people.

Young people are also more likely to be attacked - not necessarily because violent people have a penchant for beating up young people but because these people are out and about more.

When quoting stats you also have to look at things such as how often younger people actually take their car out compared to older people.

Young people are also more likely to be attacked - not necessarily because violent people have a penchant for beating up young people but because these people are out and about more.

Very True.

So are you saying that most of our car crashes are actually older people?

The age range for under 26 year old drivers is 10 years. The age range for over 26 year old drivers is 50+ years.

What the stat shows, is that as a percentage, the 16-26 group is almost half of the total number of accidents yet a significantly less than half percentage of the driving population.

Good thread.

Quick plug for you petrolheads...new series of Ignition starts tomorrow on Manx Radio at just after noon, repeated at 8.30pm.

First show I drive a Noble M12. Not very slowly either...but very safely, which is a different thing altogether, as this thread seems to recognise.

hehehe that's my friends car. i bet you weren't fiddling with the stereo whilst driving! :P

I've been chatting to Rich - he enjoyed the report.

Stereo...nahhhh. Was MUCH too busy listening to the turbos whistle and watching the speedo needle climbing like the rev counter on a race bike!

What a car. I told Rich I had three daughters worth £15k each in part-ex...

I've been chatting to Rich - he enjoyed the report.

Stereo...nahhhh. Was MUCH too busy listening to the turbos whistle and watching the speedo needle climbing like the rev counter on a race bike!

What a car. I told Rich I had three daughters worth £15k each in part-ex...

I was under the impression that the point of this thread was to discuss the problem we have on our roads with people dying and young people on R Plates (hence the title).

Unforunately we are now, on the same thread, discussing the joy of speed. Not everyone you see is willing to part-ex their kids. Let's hope you don't learn the hard way like so many before you. And just for the record I beleive mine to be worth a lot more than £15k.

oh isn't it great how people blame us young ones for everything! doesnt matter what you do, youre not gunna stop them and its not all of them either! all my mates mod cars and love making there engines go faster but its my choice at the end of the day who i trust with my life! no offence to you or your son but he had the choice of trusting that driver or not! You're just as likely to go round a corner and get hit by a 45 year old in his fast BMW or something and get wiped out! it's still game over either way if anything needs sorting out its the stupid roads over here!

oh isn't it great how people blame us young ones for everything! doesnt matter what you do, youre not gunna stop them and its not all of them either! all my mates mod cars and love making there engines go faster but its my choice at the end of the day who i trust with my life! no offence to you or your son but he had the choice of trusting that driver or not! You're just as likely to go round a corner and get hit by a 45 year old in his fast BMW or something and get wiped out! it's still game over either way if anything needs sorting out its the stupid roads over here!

Suggest you read my postings. NOT BLAMING YOUNG DRIVERS but INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS

In relation to trusting the driver what utter rubbish. A driver is responsible for the safety of his or her passengers after all it is him/her that is in control of the vehicle. In other words before I get on a bus I should check out the drivers credentials.

And I am more likely to be involved in an accident with an inexperienced driver than an experienced 45 year old in a fast BMW.

on a bus thats there job. i know its their responsibility but i can still tell if someone drives like a looney and i wouldnt get in a car with them. whether there are 45 or 16! it is your choice unless you trust your life in someone elses hands which personally i wouldnt risk!

Archived