R Stands For Racer!

Billy One Mate

but i can still tell if someone drives like a looney and i wouldnt get in a car with them. whether there are 45 or 16!

Maybe if you've seen their driving properly or been out with them before yes. What if you haven't been in with them before though? I doubt very much that most people would go 'hmmm, I've not been in a car with this person before so I'd better not because they could be a dangerous looney'. They would just assume that someone driving them from A to B might do it with a modicum of respect for their life as a passenger.

it is your choice unless you trust your life in someone elses hands which personally i wouldnt risk!

So you never go in a vehicle driven by anyone else? Never go in a friend/relative's car, or in a taxi/bus etc?

If i get in a car with someone and they drive like an idiot i tell them to slow down, if they wont i get out!

and as for the second one yes i will if i trust them, i worded that wrong! i wouldn't put my life in the hands of someone i didnt trust!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stu Peters bragging on the radio yesterday that he was doing 120mph in a car over the mountain. thats class. nearly as good as my warn log 100%

I think it's safe to say that if we are looking for a role model for safe driving and someone to help the cause with regard to saving young lives - Stu Peters is not it. I just hope that when this prize idiot comes a cropper it's only himself that he hurts. Unfortunately as so many of us know this usually isn't the case.

FMCR does me a bit of a disservice by saying I was 'bragging' about going fast.

Fact is, on an empty stretch like the Mountain Mile (going uphill) with good visibilty, a dry, warm, smooth road and a modern performance car or bike (think it was a 1300cc Honda Pan) and a competent, experienced driver/rider, there's no real problem.

Sure, a tyre could have blown out, or the engine could have seized, but that would be a challenge at 70mph too.

Let me make it clear. I'm not advocating that everybody drives as fast as they can - but I'm certainly against draconian laws that would impose an arbitrary speed limit on our (still) deristricted roads.

Accidents will - sadly - always happen, but I've yet to see any compelling and clear cut research to suggest that an all-island limit would make half the difference that better driving and vehicle standards would. It's easy to prosecute people for speeding (just look at the UK), but much harder to ensure that other road users have the necessary skills to be safe...at ANY speed.

PS: I may be an idiot, but I don't remember winning any prizes for it! As for safe driving - I've had two very minor bumps in the last 30 years in cars, and one recent disaster on a motorbike that reminded me that you CAN forget how to ride a bike...

Stu I think what has happened here is that we have ended up going off thread.

My intention was purely to get a discussion going about someway of reducing the risk on Manx Roads from inexperienced drivers and yes these will probably be in the younger age bracket due to the fact that people start driving at the age of 16.

So back on thread the lightweight cars of today in my opinion can reach speeds that an inexperienced driver will struggle to handle in everyday occurences on Manx Roads. This has absolutely nothing to do with you reaching whatever speed you want and also would not be solved with a national speed limit.

but i can still tell if someone drives like a looney and i wouldnt get in a car with them. whether there are 45 or 16!

Maybe if you've seen their driving properly or been out with them before yes. What if you haven't been in with them before though? I doubt very much that most people would go 'hmmm, I've not been in a car with this person before so I'd better not because they could be a dangerous looney'. They would just assume that someone driving them from A to B might do it with a modicum of respect for their life as a passenger.

it is your choice unless you trust your life in someone elses hands which personally i wouldnt risk!

So you never go in a vehicle driven by anyone else? Never go in a friend/relative's car, or in a taxi/bus etc?

If i get in a car with someone and they drive like an idiot i tell them to slow down, if they wont i get out!

and as for the second one yes i will if i trust them, i worded that wrong! i wouldn't put my life in the hands of someone i didnt trust!

Fair points mate. Only thing I would add is that if you get in the car with someone who does drive like an idiot at times you may not realise until they do something reckless and it could be too late at that point. That's sort of what I meant really.

Archived