More poor public sector standards

Interested Reader

4 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

Another public sector worker who cannot seem to keep to the terms of their employment and then offers up a cock and bull story to explain their behaviour. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/senior-analyst-accessed-documents-on-isle-of-man-police-database-without-permission-667910

This sort of stuff happens everywhere.

The fact that this one is public sector Is completely irrelevant, and if anything we should be glad it was spotted and followed through.

There are plenty of private sector businesses who would never even notice.

Food work by the Police on a number of fronts I would say.  There will always be people tempted to do things they shouldn’t and you will never change that.  Spotting it and acting accordingly is the best we can hope for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

This sort of stuff happens everywhere.

The fact that this one is public sector Is completely irrelevant, and if anything we should be glad it was spotted and followed through.

Most private businesses don’t have access to that level of personal information about anyone for a start. And yes it is relevant that this was in the public sector where we should expect highly paid people who have access to highly sensitive data to behave themselves and abide by the terms of their employment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

Most private businesses don’t have access to that level of personal information about anyone for a start. And yes it is relevant that this was in the public sector where we should expect highly paid people who have access to highly sensitive data to behave themselves and abide by the terms of their employment. 

Highly paid?

This dude wasn’t highly paid, and he has been caught and punished.

Sorry, but this is just pointless bashing of people who work for “the taxpayer”

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Food work by the Police on

Yes, they really got their teeth into this one. 😀

Perhaps they have an appetite for these investigations?

Codn't wait to Plaice him in the dock?

He was a bit of a cheeky Chops?

Etc etc...............

Edited by Kopek

24 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Highly paid?

This dude wasn’t highly paid, and he has been caught and punished.

So you don’t think a “senior analyst” for the police with SQL programming knowledge would be highly paid? They gave his address as Selborn Drive. I’d wager he earns a fair few quid (currently). 

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

IOMToday are now blocking most of there posts unless you give them your email address etc.   No thank you there are other ways to get news and pictures with the heads off.

You can enter garbage data into their newsletter form. It doesn’t validate. I heard. 

1 hour ago, Interested Reader said:

Most private businesses don’t have access to that level of personal information about anyone for a start. 

Well maybe not most private business. But those working for say lawyers, GP’s. ( which I believe are private enterprises) etc have access to such information

There are an increasing number of employers who require a police check  ( DBC?)on potential employees. The results of these police checks are obviously available to those contemplating employing an individual. I don’t know what level of detail they go into but presumably it is sufficient to raise any red flags or there’s no point in them. And I imagine there are restraints on disclosing said information, but it’s still provided.

No doubt JW can clarify.

Another shocker, up there with Kevin Williams a few years back. Mike was a hard-working and decent analyst. Always able to come up with the goods when tasked. 

A bit like the other chap, he's let himself down and the wider Constabulary. A damp shame, and I hope he is able to atone and move forward.

18 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

So you don’t think a “senior analyst” for the police with SQL programming knowledge would be highly paid? They gave his address as Selborn Drive. I’d wager he earns a fair few quid (currently). 

50 to 55k

According to the reports, he wasn't investigated but volunteered the information on his actions by himself. Whether that was him being genuinely 'honest and trustworthy', or from a fear of being caught out (through uncertainty of whether his actions on the system might be somehow monitored and discovered) - is now for a court to decide.

But there are wider implications here for the govt/police themselves here. Microsoft SQL Server has very secure transactional logs and many other security features that can be monitored and logged, usually controlled by a DBA or other system admin (at least two people in a chain such as this). So, if the reports are to be believed, why weren't these mechanisms in place, and in what other major systems are they not in place currently?

I would have thought a role such as this would require an enhanced check, of which there are several levels that cover far more than a standard DBS check.

I've known people that got security cleared because they have admitted something (such as taking drugs) - and still got the clearance because they have admitted it to the authorities and are deemed no longer subject to coercion or blackmail etc. because of it.

The cops here have a long history of simply going for the 'low hanging fruit' and this guy seems to have presented himself to them as a ripe juicy peach by volunteering the information. But in this case I suspect they have shot themselves in the foot, and should have done an internal disciplinary and made sure the system was secured at several levels.

And is it now secure? Whoever is in charge of their IT on this system should also be facing major questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well maybe not most private business. But those working for say lawyers, GP’s. ( which I believe are private enterprises) etc have access to such information

It really isn’t analogous.

Yes, lawyers and medics have access in records to information which their clients or patients have explicitly or by necessary implication consented to or even provided, either for legal advice or medical treatment.

They won’t have the sort of information to access that an SQL trained analyst working for the police will have.

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

There are plenty of private sector businesses who would never even notice.

Food work by the Police on a number of fronts I would say.  There will always be people tempted to do things they shouldn’t and you will never change that.  Spotting it and acting accordingly is the best we can hope for.

Actually if you read the report it says that 

On April 27, Devereau used the system to search for a family member.

He then told the police himself that he had done this and that he had been viewing the data because of a long standing family dispute over a trust.

Devereau confessed that he had accidentally viewed the data on previous occasions, but on April 27 had intentionally performed the search.

[... Mr Travers his]  advocate said that Devereau had reported the matter himself and that there would have been no way for anyone to find out if he had not done so, as no trail is left.

Mr Travers said that the defendant had been under a great deal of stress at the time, with an ongoing dispute within the family over an estate.

The advocate handed in letters of reference for his client and said that Devereau had even requested that he could be locked out of being able to access the information, so there was no chance of him coming across it accidentally.

So the police only found out because he had a guilty conscience and confessed.  It's also claimed that it's at least claimed that there is no way of telling who accessed particular pieces of data , though that may be because he had some sort of Administrator rights. 

Edited to add: Posted before I saw Albert's comment

Edited by Roger Mexico