Assisted Dying

Albert Tatlock

18 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I doubt whether we have the legislation to hold a referendum here.

You mean the Referendum Act 1979 doesn’t exist?

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Referendums rarely settle anything. How many would really understand the issues anyway ? What if it was inconclusive ? How would it be worded ? Lots of questions to be answered before they take this step. Organised pressure groups would have an unfair advantage too. If I was Alf I'd forget it.

On balance I'm for the legislation though. Those against can't answer the main fundamental question. It came up on the Mannin Line today when Andy Wint reminded a caller about the recent case of a local man who was terminally ill and died in the most agonising and traumatic way for him, his family and carers. In such extremis the anti-legislation lobbyists have no answer. I know that when my time is up, and if the decision is between me and God, I know which way I'll be voting. 

The referendum thought bubble is so:

- Alf can wash his political hands of issue … ‘the people have spoken ‘ etc etc

- So the outcome can be skewed with a poor or misleading question 

-  The hounds of bigots and religious bigotry can be given free rein

• Like 2

More debating of this issue in the HoK. What I find concerning, is the division on this topic which is being sown. Various medics and experts in this field have provided their opinions and views, yet instead of respecting they have a opinion, they have been royally hammered with real vitriol on Facebook, where some members seem to be pushing this legislation, irrespective of views, and merely their own viewpoint. In some respect it seems that legislators see this as a competition to be who can be the first to get this legislation passed, and who can make Manx History by being the first to do by assisted dying. 

• Like 1

When I started this thread, my main concern was not having, say, a 5 year residency rule. They seem to have addressed this now and realised the likely financial and health infrastructure consequences of anything less.

As to the medical experts in this field, they should be listened to. But  the 2700 religions on the planet should be told to stick any objections affecting others and not themselves - up their arse.

• Like 2

Isle of Man parliament to debate assisted-dying plans https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68954101

One thing that struck me from this article is that it mentions that to be debated whether those seeking to die, could be given drugs to be self administered or given by doctors. If those with the right to die, get given drugs to self administer, what’s to stop them from choosing to die in a hotel room? 

I can imagine the division which will be caused if a referendum is called. Another Manx Mess? 

54 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

When I started this thread, my main concern was not having, say, a 5 year residency rule. They seem to have addressed this now and realised the likely financial and health infrastructure consequences of anything less.

As to the medical experts in this field, they should be listened to. But  the 2700 religions on the planet should be told to stick any objections affecting others and not themselves - up their arse.

2700 religions on the IOM? Is DoI a recognised religion? NHS in the UK is. 

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

One thing that struck me from this article is that it mentions that to be debated whether those seeking to die, could be given drugs to be self administered or given by doctors. If those with the right to die, get given drugs to self administer, what’s to stop them from choosing to die in a hotel room? 

i don't think they would give you a bottle of pills to take home the same way they don't give you a syringe with a vaccine in it to administer yourself when you get home. i suspect they will show you to a room and check back in on you after a few hours to see if you're still alive.

• Like 1