The Christian throwing Cannan to the lions

Holte End

If I knew how to construct a poll on here, I’d ask two questions:

1. Do you think Alf should remain as CM - or be replaced?

2. If he goes, who would be your choice from the current incumbents to replace him (at least until the next GE)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

If I knew how to construct a poll on here, I’d ask two questions:

1. Do you think Alf should remain as CM - or be replaced?

2. If he goes, who would be your choice from the current incumbents to replace him (at least until the next GE)?

1)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2L3UzM_FfE

2)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnrwM7vFn_U

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Clare Christians business went down the pan so not such a great business woman at all.

Or maybe she realised that the job of an MHK, if done properly, was a full time one - it's certainly paid as if it is - and that she was unable to do both to level she would like. The sort of business she was running (a high-end dress shop) will attract customers who expect personal attention and you can't be in two places at once.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or maybe she realised that the job of an MHK, if done properly, was a full time one - it's certainly paid as if it is - and that she was unable to do both to level she would like. The sort of business she was running (a high-end dress shop) will attract customers who expect personal attention and you can't be in two places at once.

Exactly.  It was 'Claire Christian Couture'.  People would therefore expect her to be fairly heavily involved.  Something that wouldn't be achievable with the full time job of being an MHK.  It's not like it's a corner shop or something you can get someone else to run for you.  Isn't it a requisite anyway that you effectively have to quit your job (or at least put your boss on notice) when you start on the election trail?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Isn't it a requisite anyway that you effectively have to quit your job (or at least put your boss on notice) when you start on the election trail?

Not any more for legal reasons, even if you're in a government job.  Of course it's wise to let your employer know your intentions and you might want to save up holiday for the campaign period.  Manx constituencies aren't exactly enormous (the average electorate is about 5,400, which is less than the average English local authority ward of 5,500) and if you start early enough it should be possible to get round to everyone in your spare time.  The problem is most candidates only decide to stand three months beforehand and then have to cram everything in.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or maybe she realised that the job of an MHK, if done properly, was a full time one - it's certainly paid as if it is - and that she was unable to do both to level she would like.

The level being how low exactly? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Alf supporter, I assume?   But if not, who would you like to replace him?   If you had a choice limited to the current mob?

JPW would be competent - much brighter than anyone else in there. Edge to Treasury. DOI broken up and shared between Wannenburgh and Heywood. CC to Health. Leave Daphne at Ed. Scrap Enterprise and Johnston to Ag. Joney to Home Affairs. 

Overall, Claire Christian seems to be credible and is undoubtedly the type of high calibre person we need to run the show - at least she is, compared to some of the other MHKs. That said, I am not exactly sure what she has achieved as an MHK or as a political member of DESC. Which side of the swimming pool shenanigans was she supporting? In MR’s clip she appears to talk about the NHS Levy as she actually said that she “brought the motion for the healthcare Levy”.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-resigned-from-desc-before-she-was-pushed/

My view is that an NHS Levy could spectacularly backfire if it is treated as a bottomless pit (where taxpayers’ dosh gets gobbled up interminably) whilst not making any significant improvements to our publicly funded healthcare services. Interestingly, the CoC, aka a business lobby, have not called for a ‘CoC Levy’ to help out small businesses, nor they expressed support for the NHS Levy (presumably, they are waiting to get some more detail about how this NHS Levy i.e., an additional form of tax will impact their members).  

@wrighty had some good ideas about restructuring our taxes – my vote goes to him: 

"Although it would cost me personally, I’d have preferred to see an increase in the thresholds and an increase in the 10% band, with a top rate rise to perhaps 25% above a certain figure (and while we’re at it scrap the tax cap). The way it’s been done today hits everyone, and as always it’s the poorest that suffer most". 

Edited by code99
Better wording
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Who would you see as CM if Alf goes?

What has JPW actually done?

I’d happily back Allinson or Claire Christian. Several people before i do any forelock tugging for “a very important lawyer” who doesn’t seem to have actually done anything.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter who you put in charge, none of them have much authority or ability to change anything. All we can hope for is varying degrees of impotence in that respect.

1 hour ago, Harry Lamb said:

JPW would be competent - much brighter than anyone else in there. Edge to Treasury. DOI broken up and shared between Wannenburgh and Heywood. CC to Health. Leave Daphne at Ed. Scrap Enterprise and Johnston to Ag. Joney to Home Affairs. 

I would agree that JPW would be my choice & favorite, expect Allison, Thomas and maybe watterson to stand