The Christian throwing Cannan to the lions

Holte End

JPW doesn't seem to have the experience in politics to rise to the top? Or the support of the Keys to get her there???

Which leaves Allinson as the most likely to fill the role till the next general election???

No doubt Thomas would throw his hat in the ring but he has shot his bolt on too many occasions?

Who would replace Allinson in the Treasury should be the next question, Hooper or Juan W 😀😀 as accountants? Ashford as a blood sucking tax payer draining egotist???

Joney F to Home Affaires? Waste of her working class support for the poor and under privileged surely? DESC or DhSc  surely???

In any well-constructed resignation letter, the killer paragraph is usually the penultimate one.  This was Christian's:

image.png.2bb75b80c81a15a0abfe487b23f4730d.png

She's telling us that the whole Southern Pool fiasco was the fault of others on CoMin, presumably including Cannan.  Of course CoMin has all six MHKs from the North/West as a majority with only Barber from Douglas and Onchan and the South, even though 14 of the MHKs are from there.  So closing down a pool in Castletown to counter an overspend at the NSC would make sense to them from a parochial standpoint, even if from no other.  If CoMin were overruling Edge on this, you wonder about other mishandled business such as the Drag Queen Fiasco (and the scandal that they still don't seem to be delivering any RSE education.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

She's telling us that the whole Southern Pool fiasco was the fault of others on CoMin, presumably including Cannan.  Of course CoMin has all six MHKs from the North/West as a majority with only Barber from Douglas and Onchan and the South, even though 14 of the MHKs are from there.  So closing down a pool in Castletown to counter an overspend at the NSC would make sense to them from a parochial standpoint, even if from no other.  If CoMin were overruling Edge on this, you wonder about other mishandled business such as the Drag Queen Fiasco (and the scandal that they still don't seem to be delivering any RSE education.

That was obvious months ago. I’m surprised that you have to post to explicitly point that out. 

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

JPW doesn't seem to have the experience in politics to rise to the top? Or the support of the Keys to get her there???

Which leaves Allinson as the most likely to fill the role till the next general election???

No doubt Thomas would throw his hat in the ring but he has shot his bolt on too many occasions?

Who would replace Allinson in the Treasury should be the next question, Hooper or Juan W 😀😀 as accountants? Ashford as a blood sucking tax payer draining egotist???

Joney F to Home Affaires? Waste of her working class support for the poor and under privileged surely? DESC or DhSc  surely???

But Joney did vote for the budget and her working class principals  clearly went out of the window or did she not understand like the rest of them the damage that it was going to do the to lower paid and those retired on fixed incomes 

or has she been promised a big job  somewhere ?

• Like 1

Naive question, but what choice did Tynwald have but to vote for the budget? 

They couldn't vote on bits of it (understandably), and what would be the consequences of rejecting it? Would the machine just stop? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Omobono said:

But Joney did vote for the budget and her working class principals  clearly went out of the window or did she not understand like the rest of them the damage that it was going to do the to lower paid and those retired on fixed incomes 

or has she been promised a big job  somewhere ?

But it was a “progressive” budget. That’s what they were sold which draws attention to how stupid (or paid off by promises of greatness) most of them seem to be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Interested Reader said:

But it was a “progressive” budget. That’s what they were sold which draws attention to how stupid (or paid off by promises of greatness) most of them seem to be. 

How many of them actually have a real understanding of what has been presented/put in front of them? Unless they have accountancy and /or economics quals/experience, very few, I would say.

So they will just go along with the club on the presumption that their colleagues in Treasury know what they are doing and vote to support them.

The problem is now that even Allinson is shown to be led by the nose by his CS so the slavish following by his colleagues is shown to be flawed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

How many of them actually have a real understanding of what has been presented/put in front of them? Unless they have accountancy and /or economics quals/experience, very few, I would say.

I agree but you don’t have to be an accountant to see what was wrong to be fair. You don’t get negative feedback from 95% of chamber of commerce members without it being obvious what the issues were. 

Just now, Interested Reader said:

I agree but you don’t have to be an accountant to see what was wrong to be fair. You don’t get negative feedback from 95% of chamber of commerce members without it being obvious what the issues were. 

Yes...but those 95% will at least have business, if not accountancy experience by dint of what they do. And they will have read through it with more diligence and understanding than at least half the clownshow could muster between them.

And unfortunately that feedback comes after the event, when it's too late, it's been presented, voted upon and it's a done deal, which it always is anyway.

The effect on the population is a secondary consideration to Govt funding its own largesse to itself.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Yes...but those 95% will at least have business, if not accountancy experience by dint of what they do. And they will have read through it with more diligence and understanding than at least half the clownshow could muster between them.

Yes agree with that. Anyone who has any business sense could have predicted the outcome of this budget. Which makes you wonder about the basic level of knowledge of most MHKs. 

• Confused 1

Mrs Poole-Wilson is a very astute lady and probably cleverer than most in there, unfortunately she is very, very politically correct and I am sure this would slow things even more than what we see in Manx Politics today. I can only hope that there is a new and up and coming set of bright candidates on the horizon, that’s the only hope we really have at present, let’s ride this next 2 years and hope for a brighter future!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Last Ten said:

Mrs Poole-Wilson is a very astute lady and probably cleverer than most in there, unfortunately she is very, very politically correct and I am sure this would slow things even more than what we see in Manx Politics today. I can only hope that there is a new and up and coming set of bright candidates on the horizon, that’s the only hope we really have at present, let’s ride this next 2 years and hope for a brighter future!!!

I’ve been hoping for that for the last 25 years. The political system we have here will prevent that, as it always has done. My prediction is that the Island will continue to bumble along with low-level politicians and low-level political engagement from the population before the crisis in expenditure over revenue and decline in public services reaches a point where more drastic restructuring is forced upon it. 

• Like 3

I hate the lame excuses wheeled out all the time, oh they’ve not got enough experience isn’t it the years of so called long term experienced civil servants and naive sheeple politicians that have sleepwalked us into the clusterf%%k we found ourselves all in today. Zelensky was a comedian/ actor with no political experience before becoming president of Ukraine and has led them admirably against the powerful Russians. Also it’s about time we had mhks showing some real backbone( not just whining when thrown out of the Alfy the Cannans club for losers)  well over half our sitting mhks are lame ducks. I predicted last election many would lose there seats the next election wont be any different.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes...but those 95% will at least have business, if not accountancy experience by dint of what they do

How do you figure that?  Most willl have just based their responses on what they have read online and have no real business experience.