Are you fit for the road?

14 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Legal Goodyear tyres wouldn't fail an MOT. 

14 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Neither would legal Kwang Tung budget tyres. Which don't seem to be a thing. 

I didn't say that they would, and I made that name up, as keeping up with some of the names of budget tyres is almost impossible.

We were talking about the possible causes of accidents which seldom come to light during an inquiry.

Edited by Max Power
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

When I took it into the tyre place they said the age of the tyre is not a Mot able item. I dont know if its true or not. But it should be

It is. It's a recent amendment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

on island or only UK ?

They've certainly been applying it on-island in the past couple of years.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WTF said:

i was referring to use by dates on tyres rather than mots

I know. I was being facetious. I must admit I didn't think there was an age limit on car tyres (yet) for a UK MOT pass. I thought it was just for the front axle of commercial HGV vehicles and coaches etc which changed in 2020 or 2021.. But I could be wrong. Dunno about the island. I'd be surprised if it had already been brought in over here. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I know. I was being facetious. I must admit I didn't think there was an age limit on car tyres (yet) for a UK MOT pass. I thought it was just for the front axle of commercial HGV vehicles and coaches etc which changed in 2020 or 2021.. But I could be wrong. Dunno about the island. I'd be surprised if it had already been brought in over here. 

It already has and is being applied to both car and definitely motorcycle tyres at testing. I'm not 100% sure of the age limit but it might be as little as 5 years. Fitting new tyres has simply become another prerequisite before presenting for testing now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

What testing? We don't have MOT (style) testing on the island. 

We do for vehicles that are imported over a certain age and ones that have ben out of tax for a select number of years.  Also, vehicles can be sent to the test centre for inspection by the Police, and are examined after accidents collisions where deemed required.  There is also regular testing for commercial vehicles, mini busses, taxi cabs and the like.  So, yes, we do have MoT style testing on the island.   It just has a few differences.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:06 AM, Happier diner said:

When I took it into the tyre place they said the age of the tyre is not a Mot able item. I dont know if its true or not. But it should be

Just for clarity, it is but from what I can tell it is for HGVs, buses, coaches and minibuses only, not for private cars. So the tyre place was correct. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 11:35 AM, x-in-man said:

Car dashboards never used to light up unless the headlights were on - most do now which also does not help.  The handbook tells you if the lights are on or not by telling you about a handy little icon on the dash display.

This just being aware of surroundings.  If it's foggy you should think 'might need my fogs on - they don't come on unless I have the lights on - switch lights on and be prepared.  I could also use my wipers now and then as the screen will be wet and misty'.

The best one is - 'it's foggy, I have a silver car, I have sidelights on - what's the problem?'

If it's raining you should be thinking, - 'might want my lights on, the rear ones don't come on with the DRLs - switch lights on'

Same goes for 'it's a straight bit of road with no bends or corners for miles - must park my Fiesta/Clio/Pug/Nissan Jizz  on its roof'.

..and 'it's an unlimited road, but it's full of ice and snow, let's post of Faceache about the drivers doing 40 and holding me up'.

Cut back on the coke mate

No need for that length of post,  as a reply to a simple statement of fact 🙂

5 hours ago, x-in-man said:

We do for vehicles that are imported over a certain age and ones that have ben out of tax for a select number of years.  Also, vehicles can be sent to the test centre for inspection by the Police, and are examined after accidents collisions where deemed required.  There is also regular testing for commercial vehicles, mini busses, taxi cabs and the like.  So, yes, we do have MoT style testing on the island.   It just has a few differences.  

We'll sort of. However you can import a sub 3.5t Sprinter for example. Keep it taxed. You can run it forever. You'll only have to have a test if you get stopped. You can let it rot to hell. It can smoke like the cannon ball express. No one will ever know. Even if someone reports it no one will take any notice

• Like 1