Developers are 'buying their way' out of building affordable housing

HelmutX

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

No I am not. But I know that tenders are confidential in all developed countries. 

Govt tenders are well known to favour those with friends in the right places who tell them the price to beat, I know as I've witnessed it first hand on multiply occasions. Not as the beneficiary, but worked for a recipient.  When the govt employs 20% of the working population word gets out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

row breaking out regarding perfectly good 12 year old  local government owned flats being demolished in Castletown , apparently  the matter was brought to the attention  of the minister responsible  some time ago  , so another  waste of valuable resources and taxpayers money  but worst of all the opportunity for a young manx couple  to obtain a house and  settle down ,  an absolute disgrace  !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah. Like the suppliers and contractors would be up for that. Publication of their rates and fees for all to see. Never going to happen. The government have a responsibility to protect their information. 

Unsuccessful bidders are allowed to ask and be told why they were unsuccessful. But competitors rates and bids cannot be divulged.

I never said anything about rates etc. I was referring to the fact that details of the winners and who took part are actually available on the procurement website.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I never said anything about rates etc. I was referring to the fact that details of the winners and who took part are actually available on the procurement website.

Not sure what you are saying. Is this good or bad?

8 hours ago, cissoltt said:

Govt tenders are well known to favour those with friends in the right places who tell them the price to beat, I know as I've witnessed it first hand on multiply occasions. Not as the beneficiary, but worked for a recipient.  When the govt employs 20% of the working population word gets out.

How does the word get out? 

On both the quick quote portal and the tender portal. No one knows the bids until the tender process closes. No one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

How does the word get out? 

On both the quick quote portal and the tender portal. No one knows the bids until the tender process closes. No one

@A fool and his money..... is laughing. But its a fact. Perhaps he should do am FOI and ask. He can't be arsed reading what he is sent. People want to believe what they believe and hate it when facts are quoted. 

One of the main facets of any off the shelf tendering system is that no one can open the box until the date and time is reached. Its fundamental governance.

I think a lot of people on here are living their life from 20 years ago. Things have changed. That's because of things that happened 20 years ago. 

Edited by Happier diner
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you want to believe that then that's up to you. I have seen very dubious practices with my own eyes a lot less than 20 years ago.

Government pay well over the odds for everything. A house built by government costs twice what it would if you or I were building it. The only reason for that is dubious practices within procurement, there's no other reason government pay the prices that they do.

To believe that government purchasing is squeaky clean and never abused or hidden behind unnecessary commercial confidentiality then you are extremely naive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For many years there has always been the attitude that, "Govt is a big firm and can afford to be charged a bit extra".

I know of people in the tree surgery and felling business for instance (which is extremely busy at present) who quite happily admit that they pile it on for Govt jobs, even just a visit to inspect anything that's been flagged up attracts a considerable fee if it's Govt work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

If you want to believe that then that's up to you. I have seen very dubious practices with my own eyes a lot less than 20 years ago.

Government pay well over the odds for everything. A house built by government costs twice what it would if you or I were building it. The only reason for that is dubious practices within procurement, there's no other reason government pay the prices that they do.

To believe that government purchasing is squeaky clean and never abused or hidden behind unnecessary commercial confidentiality then you are extremely naive.

Maybe those dubious practices would have stopped sooner if you had reported them instead of whinging on here about things that sound like bits of gossip to me. Are you naive too. 😕 

• Like 1

Maybe those dubious practices would have stopped sooner if you had reported them instead of whinging on here about things that sound like bits of gossip to me. Are you naive too. 😕 

Open your eyes you half-wit. How many government contracts end up hopelessly over time and over budget? How many do they overpay for? How many are done well?

If you want to believe everything they tell you then go ahead, they like people like you who came down in the last shower, I'll rely on experience to form my opinion.

10 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Open your eyes you half-wit. How many government contracts end up hopelessly over time and over budget? How many do they overpay for? How many are done well?

This has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed.

You clearly have your mind made up though, despite offering no facts or evidence.   It’s obvious you aren’t going to listen to reason or facts, so any further discussing is pointless when you just keep saying the same thing over and over with nothing to back it up.

• Confused 1