Developers are 'buying their way' out of building affordable housing

HelmutX

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

Another example. Government are required to get three quotes for any work over a certain amount. What they often do is ask whichever company they want to do the work to quote using three different manufacturers products. I've been on the receiving end of that one myself.

Another trick is to put a bare bones spec out to tender. When you ask specific technical questions they don't answer, ensuring that whoever they want to do the job is the only one that can tender accurately.

Have you raised this with the procurement team ( or whatever they are called)?   Are you saying the same company can put in three different quotes, but is considered as different quotes because the product supplier (not quoting company) is different for each?

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Have you raised this with the procurement team ( or whatever they are called)?   Are you saying the same company can put in three different quotes, but is considered as different quotes because the product supplier (not quoting company) is different for each?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, I've seen it first hand on several occasions.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I can't be arsed looking it up to be honest. As far as I can remember there was a lot of collusion between the contractors and for a big and expensive job they were all very close in price on the tender (like very close). I can't remember all the details but there was something about two of the tenders turning up in the same envelope.

I think it was only because there was a new contractor tendering that wasn't in the cartel that anything came to light. The implication was that this sort of thing had been standard practice for years.

There was a bit of fuss about it at the time, I think it led to the forming of government's procurement office who are supposed to handle tenders over £50k and make government purchasing look squeaky clean, I can tell you from personal experience, it is still a very long way from it.

If you choose to believe otherwise then you're welcome to do so.

Is this specific? 

• Like 1

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, I've seen it first hand on several occasions.

So are they accepted as three different quotes from different contractors, or three different quotes from the same contractor?

Course you do.

Yes I do.  The services my business offers are used by lots of other firms across all sorts of industries and I have been involved in many goverment tenders here and in the UK.

This is an anonymous forum, and giving any more detail than that would basically tell you exactly who I am.

Belive me or not, o couldn’t give a toss.  You are the one making stuff up here just because you don’t like government and can’t look at things objectively 

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Yes I do.  The services my business offers are used by lots of other firms across all sorts of industries and I have been involved in many goverment tenders here and in the UK.

This is an anonymous forum, and giving any more detail than that would basically tell you exactly who I am.

Belive me or not, o couldn’t give a toss.  You are the one making stuff up here just because you don’t like government and can’t look at things objectively 

I'm not the one with the reputation as a fantasist.

I'm not making anything up, there's nothing I've posted here that isn't either in the public domain or has been seen by my own eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Same contractor, different manufacturers 

So, if a firm says we can do this job for X with this manufacturer, but can do it for minus X with another manufacturer, that is wrong?  Who has the relationship with the manufacturers to have the scope to offer alternatives? 

15 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Another example. Government are required to get three quotes for any work over a certain amount. What they often do is ask whichever company they want to do the work to quote using three different manufacturers products. I've been on the receiving end of that one myself.

Another trick is to put a bare bones spec out to tender. When you ask specific technical questions they don't answer, ensuring that whoever they want to do the job is the only one that can tender accurately.

When you say they, it has to be 3 people who assess tenders or quotes. You saying they are all bent? No way. It would get out. Someone would be fired..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It used to be quoted on tenders from the procurement department, as their reason for existence. 

So, completely irrelevant as an example of how things work now then?