Developers are 'buying their way' out of building affordable housing

HelmutX

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

So, if a firm says we can do this job for X with this manufacturer, but can do it for minus X with another manufacturer, that is wrong?  Who has the relationship with the manufacturers to have the scope to offer alternatives? 

The contractor has the relationship with the manufacturer.

Government get around the three quotes thing by asking one contractor for three different quotes.

What's wrong with that is that there's only one contractor involved, and the contractor knows it. They can quote whatever they like and still get the job.

It's open to abuse and is very much abused.

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So, completely irrelevant as an example of how things work now then?

In fact I'm surprised you've never seen it, what with all the business you do with government procurement.

It's almost as if you've never seen a government tender document. Strange that.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

In fact I'm surprised you've never seen it, what with all the business you do with government procurement.

It's almost as if you've never seen a government tender document. Strange that.

Dont make me fire the laptop up on a Sunday evening sad lad.

I could screen print all the relevant bits here in five minutes if I could be added,  it why should I prove anything to you.

Your conspiracy brain thinks the tender process is corrupt despite all the rules, regs, scrutiny and FOI plus everyone here telling you you are wrong. So facts aren’t going to help me here are they.

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Course you could fella. The only problem would be which of your many industries you'd choose.

You tell me what you want to see to prove it and I will go upstairs and fire the laptop up.

£10 from you to hospice if I do though as I don’t really see why I should waste my time. And since you are so sure I am a fantasist 🙄 you shouldn’t have any issues agreeing as there is no risk right?

Double dare you.  You give some actual proper evidence of corruption in the tender process during this administration and I will bung a tenner to a charity of your choice and post the screen print of the transfer.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

England has the same sort of thing.   They either have to build a certain percentage of social housing in any development or pay a charge.  Not sure how it works in detail, but it is part of the planning process, just as it is here. 

Once worked on a project where they built a very upmarket development in the 10's of millions and bought a block of flats two streets down to refurb as affordable/social housing. That way they didn't have the concierge having to deal with the riffraff or share an elevator with them.

Within 3 months of getting the green light the 12 flats were converted and in use even before they broke ground on the main development. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You tell me what you want to see to prove it and I will go upstairs and fire the laptop up.

£10 from you to hospice if I do though as I don’t really see why I should waste my time. And since you are so sure I am a fantasist 🙄 you shouldn’t have any issues agreeing as there is no risk right?

Double dare you.  You give some actual proper evidence of corruption in the tender process during this administration and I will bung a tenner to a charity of your choice and post the screen print of the transfer.

I'm just telling you my experiences of government procurement. It's not as squeaky clean as they'd like to make out.

If you choose not to believe it that's your choice. You claim to have lots of experience of government work in different countries across lots of industries. You should know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The contractor has the relationship with the manufacturer.

Government get around the three quotes thing by asking one contractor for three different quotes.

What's wrong with that is that there's only one contractor involved, and the contractor knows it. They can quote whatever they like and still get the job.

It's open to abuse and is very much abused.

Sorry. That bollocks. 

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I'm just telling you my experiences of government procurement. It's not as squeaky clean as they'd like to make out.

If you choose not to believe it that's your choice. You claim to have lots of experience of government work in different countries across lots of industries. You should know.

I think if you are sure of your facts you should ring the police. 

• Thanks 2