Developers are 'buying their way' out of building affordable housing

HelmutX

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They should all be available to view publicly and none of it should going on quietly in the background. That's the whole point of having procurement portal. Transparency.

Quietly in the background as in people just supplying what they are contracted to, rather than a Liverpool landing stage situation all over the press.

I am sure nothing is hidden about who gets contracts.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Quietly in the background as in people just supplying what they are contracted to, rather than a Liverpool landing stage situation all over the press.

I am sure nothing is hidden about who gets contracts.

Not sure why people are laughing at this?

If you want to know who has a particular contract, do an FOI

Nothing is hidden and it takes five minutes if you are that bothered.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

They should all be available to view publicly and none of it should going on quietly in the background. That's the whole point of having procurement portal. Transparency.

Yeah. Like the suppliers and contractors would be up for that. Publication of their rates and fees for all to see. Never going to happen. The government have a responsibility to protect their information. 

Unsuccessful bidders are allowed to ask and be told why they were unsuccessful. But competitors rates and bids cannot be divulged.

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah. Like the suppliers and contractors would be up for that. Publication of their rates and fees for all to see. Never going to happen. The government have a responsibility to protect their information. 

Unsuccessful bidders are allowed to ask and be told why they were unsuccessful. But competitors rates and bids cannot be divulged.

How convenient.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

How convenient.

FFS

Are you for real?

I think you said you tender for stuff?  Would you want your prices on the contract being published so that next time it comes up someone can just undercut you?

There are many, many reasons for commercial confidentiality, and to be honest if someone who is supposed to be in business can’t figure them out then he probably isn’t worth engaging with.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

FFS

Are you for real?

I think you said you tender for stuff?  Would you want your prices on the contract being published so that next time it comes up someone can just undercut you?

There are many, many reasons for commercial confidentiality, and to be honest if someone who is supposed to be in business can’t figure them out then he probably isn’t worth engaging with.

You see I genuinely wouldn't mind, but then I'm not looking to make any more out of a government job than I would any other job.

I think far too much is made out of commercial confidentiality, especially on a place the size of the IOM. I know exactly what my competitors charge and for what, it really isn't very difficult to find out. 

It really makes no difference, I still charge what I need to regardless. 

I really don't see the need for all the secrecy, especially in a system that's supposedly transparent.

• Haha 1

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

You see I genuinely wouldn't mind, but then I'm not looking to make any more out of a government job than I would any other job.

I think far too much is made out of commercial confidentiality, especially on a place the size of the IOM. I know exactly what my competitors charge and for what, it really isn't very difficult to find out. 

It really makes no difference, I still charge what I need to regardless. 

I really don't see the need for all the secrecy, especially in a system that's supposedly transparent.

So you and your competitors charge exactly the same to any customer and regardless of the size of the contract?

Fair enough, but lots of businesses don’t and wouldn’t want their prices for a particular job/project/contract to be published.

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

Across the globe? Are you trying to get one up on fantasy Dave now by making out you're some kind of international tycoon?

What are you talking about now?  Do you even understand what other people are posting?

• Haha 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

So you and your competitors charge exactly the same to any customer and regardless of the size of the contract?

Fair enough, but lots of businesses don’t and wouldn’t want their prices for a particular job/project/contract to be published.

Lots of businesses load government jobs, it's a well known fact, and they get them without being the cheapest or without any other compelling reason. Why would you want to keep that a secret?

• Haha 1