Developers are 'buying their way' out of building affordable housing

HelmutX

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

Lots of businesses load government jobs, it's a well known fact, and they get them without being the cheapest or without any other compelling reason. Why would you want to keep that a secret?

It’s nothing to do with if it’s a government job or not.

Firms price differently depending on the size of the contract.  How regular the work is.  How long it’s for. If the client is a guaranteed and regular payer. What their current workload is etc etc.

You really  do come across as a bit clueless 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Now we're getting to the crux of it. You want to rip government off and you don't want anyone to know.

Now, we have cross posted and you have made yourself look even more stupid 

• Haha 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

It’s nothing to do with if it’s a government job or not.

Firms price differently depending on the size of the contract.  How regular the work is.  How long it’s for. If the client is a guaranteed and regular payer. What their current workload is etc etc.

You really  do come across as a bit clueless 

All that's fine, it's not for me to tell you how to run your business. I don't really know why you'd want to keep it a secret though.

Unless you thought the people who were paying for it (the taxpayer) wouldn't approve.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

All that's fine, it's not for me to tell you how to run your business. I don't really know why you'd want to keep it a secret though.

Unless you thought the people who were paying for it (the taxpayer) wouldn't approve.

Commercial confidentiality ffs.

Their are firms out there in all parts of business who are struggling and who would price a contract for buttons just to keep cash coming in and staff busy, even if they don’t make a profit.

I really don’t get what you don’t understand 🤷‍♂️

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Haha 1

Just to help you understand.

Sometimes we sell a product that others on island sell.

We sell much more of it than they do, so we get a better price from the manufacturer.

The manufacturer wouldn’t want our contracts with customers to be in the public domain, because their other clients on island would realise how favourable our terms are.

There are literally hundreds of reasons why a company wouldn’t be interested in government work if it meant their contracts and pricing were disclosed.  Which in turn would lead to the government, and us the taxpayer, paying more for everything.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Commercial confidentiality ffs.

Their are firms out there in all parts of business who are struggling and who would price a contract for buttons just to keep cash coming in and staff busy, even if they don’t make a profit.

I really don’t get what you don’t understand 🤷‍♂️

If you're doing it for a fair price and not on the make, why would you mind.

If you're profiteering from governments dubious procurement policies, then yes, I could see why you might want commercial confidentiality.

Doesn't make it right and it's certainly not in the best interests of the people who are ultimately paying for it (ie the taxpayer).

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It would lead to the exact opposite, which is presumably why some companies who do very well out of the government aren't in favour.

If you don't like it, you don't have to do government work. 

Dear god.

I give up

Truly clueless

• Confused 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Dear god.

I give up

Truly clueless

Or maybe you haven't given anything like a compelling reason why commercial confidentiality should exist in government contracts.

A manufacturer might not want your competitors to know what price they sell to you at. Why not? Quantity discounts are nothing to be ashamed of. If you sell a lot more than them it's to be expected.

Very dubious reason for a cover up.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Or maybe you haven't given anything like a compelling reason why commercial confidentiality should exist in government contracts.

A manufacturer might not want your competitors to know what price they sell to you at. Why not? Quantity discounts are nothing to be ashamed of. If you sell a lot more than them it's to be expected.

Very dubious reason for a cover up.

Not really. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Across the globe? Are you trying to get one up on fantasy Dave now by making out you're some kind of international tycoon?

No I am not. But I know that tenders are confidential in all developed countries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So let's just summarise this thread.

Government purchasing is squeaky clean, nothing ever goes on that's even slightly dubious and business is conducted with the best interests of the tax paying public front and centre.

Commercial confidentiality is only ever used for laudable reasons and always ensures the taxpayer gets the best deal.

There really are some extremely naive people on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

So let's just summarise this thread.

Government purchasing is squeaky clean, nothing ever goes on that's even slightly dubious and business is conducted with the best interests of the tax paying public front and centre.

Commercial confidentiality is only ever used for laudable reasons and always ensures the taxpayer gets the best deal.

There really are some extremely naive people on this forum. 

Is there ever a point where you realise that you are a lone voice?

Nobody agrees with you.

Nobody is backing up what you say.

There are many credible arguments and examples against what you are alleging.

You haven’t given a single credible example to back up or validate your claims.

You don’t want to involve the police.

Do you ever sit back and just wonder……is it me?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Is there ever a point where you realise that you are a lone voice?

Nobody agrees with you.

Nobody is backing up what you say.

There are many credible arguments and examples against what you are alleging.

You haven’t given a single credible example to back up or validate your claims.

You don’t want to involve the police.

Do you ever sit back and just wonder……is it me?

Oh yeah, maybe it is me. Anyway, what's father Christmas bringing you this year fella? I hope you've been good and said hello to the fairies, you know, the ones that give you money when your teeth fall out.

• Haha 1