MHKs....no commitment.

littlebushy

Listening to a number of MHKs on the Mannin line recently and they have all been asked if they will stand at the next general election. Everyone of them has said that they are busy concentrating on current policy and decision making and haven't decided if they will stand next time.

I would have thought most MHKs will stand again and will want to continue to push their agendas going forward. Is there some disadvantage to declaring early? I would have thought an early declaration would get a head start in electioneering.

2 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

Listening to a number of MHKs on the Mannin line recently and they have all been asked if they will stand at the next general election. Everyone of them has said that they are busy concentrating on current policy and decision making and haven't decided if they will stand next time.

I would have thought most MHKs will stand again and will want to continue to push their agendas going forward. Is there some disadvantage to declaring early? I would have thought an early declaration would get a head start in electioneering.

An early declaration gives some people the excuse to harass their MHKs or ‘I won’t vote for you next time’.

1 minute ago, x-in-man said:

Not something you'll have to worry about Stu.

I’ll probably declare in June 2026, just as a grateful nation finally realises what an asset I’ve been and is subscribing to a bronze statue of me (falling off a motorbike).

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Can I just drop this magnificent tweet by Lawrie Hooper into this thread? 

I look forward to the forthcoming revelation when Ramsey folk kick him out and he realises he too is one of those "ex-politicians who were entirely useless whilst in office and soundly rejected by their electorate"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I look forward to the forthcoming revelation when Ramsey folk kick him out and he realises he too is one of those "ex-politicians who were entirely useless whilst in office and soundly rejected by their electorate"

Very arrogant man. "Were entirely useless while in office" is quite ironic really.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

An early declaration gives some people the excuse to harass their MHKs or ‘I won’t vote for you next time’.

Thanks Stu. But I could harass my MHK in any case, and tell them I won't vote for them next time if they do stand. Knowing if they are going to stand or not won't make much difference. I assume that most MHKs go for reelection in the end.

5 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Very arrogant man. "Were entirely useless while in office" is quite ironic really.

Well quite.  But it is about Boot, so you can't say it's wrong.  And it's on a news outlet owned by Turner.  So it's practically perfect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Two wrongs don't make a right

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

Some of it is false modesty "If the electorate really insist...." and not wanting to appear arrogant or entitled.  But there's no technical reason for not declaring earlier than most do.  If you do stand, all electoral spending in the previous year is included, irrespective of when you formally declared.

You do occasionally get people who say they are going stand, then realise how unpopular they are and withdraw.  Ronan in 2016 would be an obvious example.  But as Boot found out you still get well rewarded for your humiliation with a pension top-up.

• Like 1

Most of them are working towards the next election the moment they get voted in that is why we get so much sitting on fences, asking the public, kicking the cans if there is a diversifying subject none of them will commit.   This is why we don’t have means testing for social housing, don’t have a decision on Dignity in Dying, don’t have the Bishop saga sorted the fear of offending curtails all decisions and nothing gets done.    Contempt is more harmful  than making a decision that is not popular and that is what is happening here.

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Re the Energy FM news post. Interesting in that where you may choose to live is assumed to be entirely down to financial considerations.

Just an observation.

I would imagine most will stand again. After all they’ll not get anywhere near the dosh they get in the Keys as most of them are , well , let’s face it , not up to it anywhere else. Although they do enjoy their little jaunts to other jurisdictions to see how it is done , or not done. Who cares , it’s a jolly 😎

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

I'll be standing in the next election. I'm only interested in the money though, so just being upfront about that.

I will also be standing with a manifesto pledge, that I will  get an abba song into every question or into one of the supplementaries. 

My first question would be  "How many life boats are there on the Manxman, if an SOS is put out".

• Haha 2