MHKs....no commitment.

littlebushy

9 hours ago, Anyone said:

I would imagine most will stand again. After all they’ll not get anywhere near the dosh they get in the Keys as most of them are , well , let’s face it , not up to it anywhere else. Although they do enjoy their little jaunts to other jurisdictions to see how it is done , or not done. Who cares , it’s a jolly 😎

I’ve been on two, one to Westminster in 2022 and one to Leinster House a month ago. They were both useful in understanding neighbouring parliaments. I would rather have stayed at home though, there is little ‘jolly’ about business travel - but that’s possibly just me.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Holte End said:
1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

I will also be standing with a manifesto pledge, that I will  get an abba song into every question or into one of the supplementaries. 

My first question would be  "How many life boats are there on the Manxman, if an SOS is put out".

You’ll need to let us know if you’re one of us, if you want our votes (when all is said and done).

Edited by Jarndyce

19 hours ago, littlebushy said:

I would have thought most MHKs will stand again and will want to continue to push their agendas going forward.

What agendas? If you look at most of the manifestos from last time, the vast majority of priorities were: 1. Affordable housing (FAIL), 2. Health (FAIL), 3. Keeping youngsters here (FAIL) 4. Growing the economy (FAIL) which they have now started taxing the arse off.

Between them already they have pissed away >£80m on screwed up projects.

How much failure, inefficiency, bloat and overspend does the great Manx unwashed need to see, and how many times will they allow their pockets to be picked, before they actually stop voting some of these numpties in?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

What agendas? If you look at most of the manifestos from last time, the vast majority of priorities were: 1. Affordable housing (FAIL), 2. Health (FAIL), 3. Keeping youngsters here (FAIL) 4. Growing the economy (FAIL) which they have now started taxing the arse off.

Don't forget the assurances about addressing accountability, Govt numbers and Govt spending and waste.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

How much failure, inefficiency, bloat and overspend does the great Manx unwashed need to see, and how many times will they allow their pockets to be picked, before they actually stop voting some of these numpties in?

What’s your alternative, bearing in mind that the electorate can only vote for those who choose to stand?   Dictatorship?   An anarcho-syndicalist commune?

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

What your alternative, bearing in mind that the electorate can only vote for those who choose to stand?   Dictatorship?   An anarcho-syndicalist commune?

Well, we already have an effective dictatorship (CM).

As for an anarcho-syndicalist commune - that's the Holy Grail I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I’ve been on two, one to Westminster in 2022 and one to Leinster House a month ago. They were both useful in understanding neighbouring parliaments.

Can you tell us where you will apply this new understanding of neighbouring parliaments please Stu, will you be trying to make changes to our constitution with this knowledge?

Who makes the decisions on who should attend these trips?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Can you tell us where you will apply this new understanding of neighbouring parliaments please Stu, will you be trying to make changes to our constitution with this knowledge?

Michael Jackson Eating Popcorn GIFs | Tenor

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I’ll probably declare in June 2026, just as a grateful nation finally realises what an asset I’ve been 

Hmm. I'll just fix that for you. 

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I’ll probably declare in June 2026, just as a grateful nation finally realises what an ass I’ve been 

There you go. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

You’ll need to let us know if you’re one of us, if you want our votes (when all is said and done).

I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do because I Have A Dream and I know The Name Of The Game, NO Doubt About It. Unlike Alf  I won't let the Money Money Money go  Slipping Through My Fingers.

Edited by Holte End
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

What’s your alternative, bearing in mind that the electorate can only vote for those who choose to stand?   Dictatorship?   An anarcho-syndicalist commune?

How about not voting or better still spoil the ballot papers, at least spoilt papers are declared and would indicate a measure of dissatisfaction. 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I liked that in the Dail there’s a time limit on debates (and have suggested we consider that here), and was surprised to learn that it is widely understood that PMQ’s is theatre rather than serious business. The trips are organised by the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association - they ask for expressions of interest and presumably award trips to the best looking and most fun applicants.

• Haha 1

Our state news agency reports that 3 of our esteemed MHKs have gone on a jolly to Malta. 

Sarah Maltby, Ann Corlett and Daffy have gone to the British Island and Mediterranean Region Commonwealth Women Parliamentarians Conference. 

Im sure this will rile a lot of voters and taxpayers, even if the CPA may pay some of the cost. It’s the whole optics, especially after the budget controversy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Our state news agency reports that 3 of our esteemed MHKs have gone on a jolly to Malta. 

Sarah Maltby, Ann Corlett and Daffy have gone to the British Island and Mediterranean Region Commonwealth Women Parliamentarians Conference. 

Im sure this will rile a lot of voters and taxpayers, even if the CPA may pay some of the cost. It’s the whole optics, especially after the budget controversy. 

Och Malta is lovely this time of year and it has been a busy year for Ann Corlett as deputy speaker and will have to follow the speaker's travel jollies oops' I mean fact finding missions.