MHKs....no commitment.

littlebushy

39 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Stu P. Do you respond to your constituents in this glib manner? Not the wind up merchants but a seemingly genuine question from someone you don't know?

I try to answer any question quickly and truthfully, unless that involved confidential information. Sometimes I don’t know the answer - I presume the Clerk of Tynwald’s office or the CPA decide who should go on trips, but I don’t know.

Unfortunately some answers I give lead to further demands for detail which I’m not in a position or prepared to give, or which I consider vexatious or an attempt to twist my words against me.

There is no attempt to twist your words Stu.

What is trying to be established is the worth of these trips to the taxpayer and what appears to have been elicited so far is that individuals thus despatched don't even have to have interest or aptitude for the subjects of the trip.

This would suggest that they are simply duties that have to be fulfilled so, "We'll just send anybody we can dick for it. They'll enjoy the trip". 

Which makes the optics even worse under the current economic conditions that the unelected are enduring.

• Like 5

Even in a democracy like the UK, elected representatives face a daily barrage of vitriol and occasionally death threats on social media/ actual deaths. But guess what? Despite the vile abuse they receive, most British MPs insist on continuing to interact with their constituents in a calm, constructive and measured manner.

Most of IOM politicians, who generally have a relatively easy time with social media compared to their counterparts in the UK, only want to hear choruses of admiration and no notes of criticism. But if you are elected to office, you have to keep your head above the proverbial parapet to do your job effectively. Unsurprisingly, those who incessantly whine about not being able to exercise their right to 'free speech' often also whine when someone legitimately challenges them on real issues impacting their community.

If our politicians are not listening, if they are pretending that problems that are impacting their constituents do not exist then they get away with not dealing with/ not solving the problems. Totally embarrassing sh1t show, IMHO.

Edited by code99
typo

The internet has produced an extraordinary sense of entitlement when politicians (whose names and contact details are readily available and who spend a lot of time corresponding with named constituents and others on an open basis) who do not engage with anonymous people online are accused of somehow being behind a parapet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I try to answer any question quickly and truthfully, unless that involved confidential information. Sometimes I don’t know the answer - I presume the Clerk of Tynwald’s office or the CPA decide who should go on trips, but I don’t know.

Unfortunately some answers I give lead to further demands for detail which I’m not in a position or prepared to give, or which I consider vexatious or an attempt to twist my words against me.

Don't worry, I am sure they will send you on a 'Moulding male MHK's into men' trip, to the Sydney Mardi Gras.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There is no attempt to twist your words Stu.

What is trying to be established is the worth of these trips to the taxpayer and what appears to have been elicited so far is that individuals thus despatched don't even have to have interest or aptitude for the subjects of the trip.

This would suggest that they are simply duties that have to be fulfilled so, "We'll just send anybody we can dick for it. They'll enjoy the trip". 

Which makes the optics even worse under the current economic conditions that the unelected are enduring.

And that’s why I get irritated. My initial comment was that business trips were no fun to me and I’d rather stay at home, and you’ve twisted that into me admitting I had no experience in the topics discussed or interest in the trip. I also explained that I applied to go, nobody press-ganged me. Most days I’d rather stay at home than go to the pub or a restaurant. Doesn’t mean I dislike pubs, food or beer.

20 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

And that’s why I get irritated. My initial comment was that business trips were no fun to me and I’d rather stay at home, and you’ve twisted that into me admitting I had no experience in the topics discussed or interest in the trip. I also explained that I applied to go, nobody press-ganged me. Most days I’d rather stay at home than go to the pub or a restaurant. Doesn’t mean I dislike pubs, food or beer.

Again, nobody is twisting anything Stu. You stated that you would rather have stayed at home, that does not suggest that you were enthusiastic about the trip.

Now you are telling us that you volunteered, does that mean that they sought expressions of interest to go on it?

As in, "Look what's come up, any of you lot fancy it?" That suggests that it's not anything of importance too, just something that needs to be fulfilled. So there is clearly no selection process involving any assessment of aptitude.

I repeat my statement about the optics.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I try to answer any question quickly and truthfully

I didn't ask how you respond to a 'normal' question but rather if the glib attitude you display on MF is how you also respond to your known constituents.

It could be an attitude to MF and social media, which is partly understandable or it could be a character flaw, too flippant, which is not too clever for a politician.

It's not about MF it's about your attitude to your constituents who deserve a better response to those on here!

I wish you well and hope you are dripping in false sincerity when replying to your voters, love 'em or loath 'em!

45 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Not answering a question is a typical politician/interviewer situation, you should be well versed on both sides?

As I’ve said before Kopek, MF has always been a bit of fun for me with some robust banter (where I usually come second). I’m sorry if you find my sense of humour too flippant - I enjoy having a smile and hope others feel the same. Becoming an MHK hasn’t made me into a prudish Victorian (except for a day in July). I answered NB’s question about selection quite clearly a day or so ago, but he keeps implying that I’ve avoided it.

• Like 1

My constituents usually come to me with real problems or issues and I do my best to resolve or redirect them. MF is a different animal, not least because I have no idea who I’m talking to and whether people are just looking to pick a fight or score points. So if you want a proper answer, email me: stu.peters@gov.im  If you want an opinion or a bit of banter, ask here but be prepared for a less formal response. That might involve inappropriate language or humour. Arf!

• Like 1