MHKs....no commitment.

littlebushy

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Why haven't you fixed my fence yet?

Because you were sitting on it. Health and safety etc.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.... and I can understand that. Again, my question was, would you be as flippant with your constituents???

Ah, you’ve added. Depends entirely on the circumstances.

• Like 1

Thanks, I recognise that social media and serious constituency matters are separate 'psyche' and that it can be a game to be played to conserve ones own connect with reality, I say things on here that I would not say in the corner shop and there's nothing wrong with that, just wanted to know if your flippancy waass universal or contained to social media?

As I say, good luck to you and maybe, it's not always necessary to be dripping in sincerity???

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Are you standing again next time Stu?

ETA apologies if you've already answered this and I've missed it.

Too early to say. Ask me again in 2 years.

• Like 1

It is disengenuous and an insult to the people who voted for a candidate beflore, to pretend that you don't know if you will stand again. A game to be played, not a poilitical stance of assurance???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure about others, bu I get the distinct feeling that some of them get voted in, do the neck end of fuck all and hope to carry on collecting the nice salary. A salary they would never achieve if they had to work for a living.

• Like 1

The traditional route into Manx politics is to have a go after losing your job or failing in business. Some are just bored toff's who have a go after growing bored of living on a trust fund, or the spouse's income — but the vast majority go into it as a last resort. Occasionally you get a Peter Karran, but they don't fit in and get rounded on sharpish. Not judging — someone's got to do it, and if they get a little jolly to Malta, well that's on the whole a small price to pay for keeping the absolute roasters they beat at the polls out of  Tynwald. Having said that, apart from Fowler obviously, the selection in Marown wasn't as awful as it was elsewhere. 

Edited by Freggyragh

You could draw up a list of MHKs who will definitely stand again at the next election. All you have to do is think which of them couldn’t possibly do anything else that would earn them a decent amount of money and those who also have egos that cannot be fulfilled by doing the otherwise dull and menial jobs that they would return to.

Callister, Watterson, Hooper, Ashford, Moorhouse, Corlett immediately spring to mind but it’s late. There will be others when I apply my mind to it. Skelly also but he’s gone the wig and fancy dress route already. 

I think Watterson and Hooper are both chartered accountants so could , if so motivated , earn more in the private sector. Callister would I think have been on a decent wage working with the Louis Group. Not sure how much teachers earn , depend on rank I suppose but it would not be that bad. I imagine pot men in a pub don’t earn that much so might want to stand for re-election. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 6:55 AM, Stu Peters said:

I’ve been on two, one to Westminster in 2022 and one to Leinster House a month ago. They were both useful in understanding neighbouring parliaments. I would rather have stayed at home though, there is little ‘jolly’ about business travel - but that’s possibly just me.

Ok , I think the Westminster one is quite a large country and the Leinster one a bit of a smaller one. I don’t really see what can be learned from the way they operate. From what I see Westminster is nightmare that no sane jurisdiction would want to replicate ( maybe you learned that from your trip but anyone could have told you that for free ). As for the other one , well really , they’d not have been too keen on you being English and that. 

• Sad 1